No. 15 T&F Leads After Day 1 of Cal/Nevada Champs
March 29, 2013
LA JOLLA, Calif. - Kelsy Hintz and Nicole Oudenaarden each won an individual event to give the No. 15 San Diego State track and field team the lead after the first day of the Cal/Nevada Championships Friday on the campus of UC San Diego in La Jolla, Calif.
After six of the 20 events, the Aztecs have 71 points, 45.50 points ahead of second-place Nevada (25.50). Long Beach State (22.50), UC Santa Barbara (21.50) and USC (17) round out the top five.
Hintz won the pole vault, beating 23 other entrants with a mark of 13 feet, 3 ½ inches (4.05 meters). Kristen Brown (12-07.50 (3.85m)) came in second, while Rebecca Turnbow and Karen Snapper both cleared 11-11.75 (3.65m) to finish fifth and sixth, respectively.
Oudenaarden, who won the heptathlon last weekend at the Aztec Invitational, captured the javelin title today out of 22 entrants with a throw of 142-03 (43.37m). Brittany Bozeman also scored for SDSU, taking ninth at 118-03 (36.04m).
Shanieka Thomas (second, 19-04.00 (5.89m)), Allison Reaser (third, 18-09.75 (5.73m)) and Bozeman (ninth, 18-05.75 (5.63m)) all scored in the long jump for San Diego State, while Jasmine Burrell (second, 163-10 (49.95m)) and Alexa Evans (fifth, 159-02 (48.52m)) both scored in the discus throw. Evans' mark of 159-02 was the ninth best in program history.
The Aztecs also advanced nine athletes to tomorrow's final heats over six events on the track. Brown ran the fastest 100-meter hurdles of the qualifying rounds in 13.82, while Thomas had the fastest 400 of 55.38.
Others who moved on from the preliminary heats included Reaser in the 400 hurdles (second, 1:00.22), 100 hurdles (fourth, 14.02) and the open 100 (ninth, 12.11), Deyna Roberson in the 400 hurdles (third, 1:00.93), Maderia Toatley in the 200 (fourth, 24.85), Alex Evans in the 100 hurdles (eighth, 14.11), Chelsea Kruthers in the 800 (eighth, 2:13.16) and Oudenaarden in the 400 (eighth, 57.12).
Saturday kicks off with the hammer throw at 11 a.m. PT and concludes with the 4x400-meter relay at 4:25 p.m. PT.
UCSD Triton Track & Field Stadium - La Jolla, Calif.
Day One of Two - March 29, 2012
Team Scores (out of 16 scoring teams) (after 6 of 20 events)
1. San Diego State - 71
2. Nevada - 25.50
3. Long Beach State - 22.50
4. UC Santa Barbara - 21.50
5. USC - 17
10,000 Meters (out of 19 entrants)
1. Jennifer Mallen (Cal Baptist) - 36:17.72
6. Marianne Hogan (SDSU) - 37:20.16
100-Meter Hurdles (prelims) (out of 34 entrants)
1. Kristen Brown (SDSU) - 13.82q
4. Allison Reaser (SDSU) - 14.02q
8. Alex Evans (SDSU) - 14.11q (wind-aided)
18. Karsen Sper (SDSU) - 14.98
20. Brittany Bozeman (SDSU) - 15.13
400-Meter Hurdles (prelims) (out of 30 entrants)
1. Amanda Rodriguez (UC Santa Barbara) - 1:00.18q
2. Allison Reaser (SDSU) - 1:00.22q
3. Deyna Roberson (SDSU) - 1:00.93q
13. Maya Carter (SDSU) - 1:04.78
Pole Vault (out of 24 entrants)
1. Kelsy Hintz (SDSU) - 13-03.50 (4.05m)
2. Kristen Brown (SDSU) - 12-07.50 (3.85m)
5. Rebecca Turnbow (SDSU) - 11-11.75 (3.65m)
6. Karen Snapper (SDSU) - 11-11.75 (3.65m)
Long Jump (out of 27 entrants)
1. Deborah Amoah (Nevada) - 19-05.25 (5.92m)
2. Shanieka Thomas (SDSU) - 19-04.00 (5.89m)
3. Allison Reaser (SDSU) - 18-09.75 (5.73m) (wind-aided)
9. Brittany Bozeman (SDSU) - 18-05.75 (5.63m)
14. Alex Evans (SDSU) - 18-02.50 (5.55m)