SDSU Cross Country Takes Third at 68th Aztec Invitational
Sept. 15, 2012
SAN DIEGO - At its lone home meet this season, the San Diego State cross country team crossed the finish line in third place at the 68th annual Aztec Invitational on Saturday. The third place finish is the highest SDSU has placed at the annual invitational since 2005, when the Aztecs also came in third at that meet.
Senior Marianne Hogan was SDSU's top finisher, finishing the 5,000-meter course with a time of 18 minutes, 23.7 seconds, after claiming last season's title at the 67th edition of the invitational. Freshman Laura Vazquez claimed the fifth place spot with a time of 18:53.7, to be the Aztecs second best finisher.
San Diego State finished third out of seven teams with a total of 50 points. USC took first with 39 points, followed by last year's winner Biola who finished with 47 points, SDSU (50), Cal State Northridge (112), San Jose State (140), UNLV (145) and the Aztecs' B team (191).
Josefine Koskinen was the next SDSU runner to cross the finish line as she took seventh place in 19:09.6. Rachel Roesgen finished 19th (19:51.7), Chelsea Kruthers in 21st (19:55.9), Jessica McCall was 24th (20:02.4) and Lily Mako rounded out the teams runners at 27th place (20:09.6).
San Diego State's B team also competed on Saturday with seven runners crossing the finish line. Megan Geyer clocked a time of 20:10.1, followed by Katy Smith (20:31.9), Amy Reaser (21:17.5), Megan Hughes (21:28.0), Amanda Okun (21:36.5), Melissa Wendorf (21:43.8) and Hannah Sawatzki (22:00.2).
Koskinen, Reaser, Okun and Hughes all posted personal course records at Saturday's meet.
The Aztecs will next compete on Sept. 29, when they travel to Palo Alto, Calif. for the Stanford Invitational.
68th Aztec Invitational Results
Balboa Park - San Diego, Calif.
Women's 5K Results
1. USC - 39
2. Biola University - 47
3. San Diego State - 50
4. Cal State Northridge - 112
5. San Jose State - 140
6. UNLV - 145
7. San Diego State (B Team) - 191
Individual Results (Top 5 and SDSU runners only)*
1. Erica Capellino (USC) - 18:11.5
2. Marianne Hogan (SDSU) - 18:23.7
3. Jenna Tong (USC) - 18:33.8
4. Tanya Valenzuela (SDSU - unattached) - 18:44.4
5. Laura Vazquez (SDSU) - 18:53.7
7. Josefine Koskinen (SDSU) - 19:09.6
19. Rachel Roesgen (SDSU) 19:51.7
21. Chelsea Kruthers (SDSU) - 19:55.9
24. Jessica McCall (SDSU) - 20:02.4
27. Lily Mako (SDSU) - 20:09.6
28. Megan Geyer (SDSU - B) - 20:10.1
30. Chelsea Hanson (SDSU - unattached) - 20:14.3
36. Katy Smith (SDSU - B) - 20:31.9
50. Amy Reaser (SDSU - B) - 21:17.5
52. Megan Hughes (SDSU - B) - 21:28.0
53. Amanda Okun (SDSU - B) - 21:36.5
54. Melissa Wendorf (SDSU - B) - 21:43.8
58. Hannah Sawatzki (SDSU - B) - 22:00.0