Air Force Baseball Takes on Navy at Freedom Classic
Feb. 20, 2013
Freedom Classic Schedule
vs. Navy - Friday, Feb. 22 - 6 pm (EST)
vs. Navy - Saturday, Feb. 23 - 2 pm (DH)
vs. Navy - Sunday, Feb. 24 - 12:30 pm
- All four games at Grainger Stadium - Kinston, N.C.
- Live stats for every game at goAirForceFalcons.com
- Twitter updates at: @AF_Falcons
- No audio for the series
AF: Mike Kazlausky (Maj. Retired) (USAFA, 1991) is 33-79 in his third year. Navy: Paul Kostacopoulos (Providence, 1987) is 207-168-4 in his eighth year at Navy and 711-500-6 in his 22nd year overall.
Air Force - 0-4
Navy - 2-1
Air Force was swept in a four-game series at UTSA last weekend.
Navy went 2-1 at Norfolk State last weekend.
Air Force leads 16-15
Falcons Take on Navy at Freedom Classic
The Air Force baseball team takes on Navy at the Freedom Classic this weekend, Feb. 22-24, in Kinston, N.C. Live stats will be available for the entire four game series.
Series History vs. Navy
- Air Force has played Navy 31 times, with the Falcons leading 16-15.
- The two teams first met on March 3, 1990, where the Falcons swept a doubleheader, 9-1, 3-0, at the Service Academies Spring Classic.
- Air Force is 31-22 against service academy schools, going 16-6 all-time against Army.
Air Force vs. Patriot League
- The Falcons are 32-24 all-time in games against Patriot League schools.
- Navy is 2-1 on the season after their opening series at Norfolk State last weekend. They also take on Coppin State Wednesday.
- The Midshipmen are batting .306, have a team ERA of 3.00 and fielding .971.
- Navy's top hitter is leftfielder Brandon Beans, who is batting .500.
- Sr. RHP Ben Nelson logged seven innings as the opening day starting pitcher for the Mids.
Navy-Air Force Connections
- Air Force and Navy have four players that share the same hometowns.
- Navy senior RHP Ben Nelson and Air Force senior RHP Matt Zettler are both native of Winter Springs, Fla., and were teammates at Winter Springs High School.
- Navy freshman OF Robert Currie and Air Force freshman Coleman Poje are both Atlanta natives. Currie went to The Lovett School and Poje went to Westminster High School.
- Navy senior RHP Jake Coffey and Air Force sernior RHP Alex Baker are both from McKinney, Texas. Coffey attended McKinney Boyd High School and Baker attended McKinney High.
- Navy sophomore RHP Dallas Redden and Air Force senior RHP Jack Hourin are both from Austin, Texas. Redden attended Llano High School and Hourin attended Lake Travis High School.
Last Year vs. Navy
Air Force went 2-1 in the three-game series vs. Navy last year at the Freedom Classic. After a Friday rainout, the Falcons took both games of Saturday's doubleheader, winning game one 8-7 and game two 10-4. Navy rallied to win Sunday's game 7-4.
- In game one, Air Force won 8-7 in 10 innings. David Thomas went 3-for-4 with a home run, triple and double to lead the Falcons.
- In game two, the Falcons jumped out to a 10-0 lead and held on to the win. Michael Ceci struck out five in 6.1 innings of work for the win and Alex Bast hit three doubles to lead the Falcon offense.
- In game three, Navy scored three run in the ninth to pull out a 7-4 win over Air Force.
Recapping UTSA Series
Air Force had a tough opening weekend, getting swept in a four game series at UTSA.
- The Falcons lost 9-2 Friday and 6-1 and 13-8 Saturday, before falling 12-4 Sunday.
- Air Force hit .288, had a 9.56 ERA and fielded .936 for the weekend.
- Senior C/OF Garrett Custons led the way at the plate, batting .538 (7-for-13) to go with four hit-by-pitches for a .611 on-base percentage.
- Custons also threw out four attempted base-stealers on Friday.
- Junior CF David Baska also had a stellar opening weekend, batting .389 (7-for-18).
- Jr. RHP Cameron White was Air Force's top pitcher, going 6.1 innings in the season-opener.
- Sr. LHP Ben Bertelson struck out nine in game one Saturday.
Custons Reaches 200 Hits
Senior catcher/outfielder Garrett Custons is starting to enter several of the Air Force top 10 lists. With his first hit of the season, the Sarasota, Fla., native got to 200 career hits and is currently at 206. Custons is currently in the Air Force Top 10 list in three offensive categories and just oustide in five others.
One Away from 1,000
The Air Force baseball program enters the 2013 with 999 wins as a program. The Falcons are 999-1,339-3 in year 57 as a program. Air Force's first win came against Western State back in 1957.
New Falcons See Immediate Action
Air Force had 11 newcomers see their first collegiate action over the weekend at UTSA. The Falcons threw six pitchers, five of them freshmen, including one starter in freshman Steven Trojan. Air Force had five freshmen play in the field, including three that started games.
The Falcons will play four games in three days next weekend, March 1-3, at the Snowbird Baseball Classic in Port Charlotte, Fla.