'Dogs Travel South for Mid-Week Game at CSUB
Feb. 25, 2013
Fresno, Calif - The Fresno State baseball team is set to travel south down Hwy. 99 to wrap up its four-game road swing on Tuesday against the Cal State Bakersfield Runners, first pitch is set for 6 p.m. at Hardt Field.
The 'Dogs (1-5) look to bounce back Tuesday evening against the 'Runners (4-3) after being swept over the weekend by No. 15 Stanford of the Pac-12. Tuesday's nights game is the first of four nonconference mid-week pairings Fresno State has against the Roadrunners. The two teams split its season series in 2012.
• Fresno State squares off against CSU Bakersfield for the first of four nonconference contests on Tuesday, Feb. 26. The two will get together once again April 17 (H), April 23 (A) and April 30 (H).
• The ’Dogs own 10-9 all-time record dating back to the inaugural game in 2009. The two split its series last season, 2-2.
• Last time out the ’Dogs were swept on the road in three games by No. 15 Stanford (Fri. 3-1, Sat. 7-4 (10), Sun. 7-4).
• SS Chris Mariscal led Fresno State over the weekend as he went 6-for-10 (.600) from the plate, including a 3-for-4 day in game two of the series along with two runs scored.
• Mike Batesole was an assistant for CSU head coach for two seasons (‘94-’95) at Cal State Northridge before taking over for the Matodors in 1996 in his first head coaching role.
ON THE MOUND
#3 Jordan Brink (RHP/0-1/27.00 ERA/1 APP/0 GS)
• First career appearance on the bump came on Saturday against No. 15 Stanford.
• Retired batters in order in the ninth, surrendered three-run walk-off home run in the 10th.
#15 Derick Valazquez (RHP/0-1/4.15 ERA/2 APP/2 GS)
• Has worked the most innings for the ’Dogs with 13.0.
• Team leader in strikeouts (8).
#35 Tim Borst (RHP/0-0/2.38 ERA/2 APP/2 GS)
• The true freshman has made two starts with two no decisions.
• Has struck out six in 11.1 innings.
#38 William Munro (RHP/1-0/0.73 ERA/2 APP/2 GS)
• Owns the third-best ERA in the MW and tops on the team.
• Has allowed one multi-base hit in 12.1 innings.
• Set mark for longest career outing versus Stanford (7.0).
#39 Tyler Linehan (LHP/0-2/16.88 ERA/4 APP/0 GS)
• Fresno State’s most veteran pitcher having worked 132.0 career innings.
#43 Garrett Mundell (RHP/0-1/5.79 ERA/3 APP/0 GS)
• Leads bullpen in strikeouts with 4 in 4.2 innings pitched.
• Team saves leader (1).
AT THE PLATE
#7 Jake Alvarez (INF)
• Owns a 1.000 fielding percentage.
• Sole Bulldog starting infielder without an error this season.
#12 Austin Wynns (INF)
• Leads in the MW in caught stealing by (5).
• Owns individual game-high in RBI with four versus UCSB on Feb. 15.
#16 Shota Runge (INF)
• Is 1-for-1 as a pinch hitter in one appearance this season.
#21 Kevin Viers (INF)
• Registered first career RBI on Friday vs. Mark Appel of Stanford.
• The true freshman has started all six games at third base.
#24 Trent Garrison (INF)
• Own the teams longest hitting streak (5).
• Batting .360 on the season with three RBI.
#27 Jordan Luplow (OF)
• Leads the MW in stolen bases (4). Went 4-for-4 in season opener, tying a MW single game record.
• Owns the teams only triple this season.
• Leads team in runs scored (6).
#29 Aaron Judge (OF)
• Last time out Judge went 5-for-5 with three RBI and one HR.
• Second in the MW in hitting (.423) and slugging pct. (.692).
• Hitting 6-for-11 (.545) with runners on base.
• Leads team with 11 hits, six RBI and two HR.
#31 Taylor Ward (INF)
• Hit first career home run as a Bulldog against Stanford SP John Hochstatter on Feb. 23. Ward went 2-for-3 with 3 RBI on the day.
• Owns a 1.000 fielding percentage.
#32 Chris Mariscal (INF)
• Led the Bulldogs against No. 15 Stanford as he went 6-for-10 from the plate, including a 3-for-4 performance on Saturday.
• Ranks ninth in MW in batting avg. (.375) following an opening weekend 0-for-6 slump.
• Currently riding a 3-game hitting streak
#36 Brody Russell (INF)
• Batting .273 in five games, three starts.
• 1-for-1 in stolen bases.