Air Force Baseball Travels To Snowbird Classic
Feb. 28, 2013
Snowbird Classic Schedule
vs. St. Bonaventure - Friday, March 1 - 3 pm EST
vs. Mount St. Mary's - Saturday, March 2 - 3 pm
vs. Georgetown - Saturday, March 2 - 6:30 pm
vs. Western Michigan - Sunday, March 3 - 10:30 am
- St. Bonaventure and Western Michigan games at North Charlotte Regional Park Field #6 - Port Charlotte, Fla.
- Mount St. Mary's and Georgetown games at South County Regional Park - Punta Gorda, Fla.
- Live stats for every game at goAirForceFalcons.com
- Twitter updates at: @AF_Falcons
- No audio for the series
Snowbird Classic Website:
AF: Mike Kazlausky (Maj. Retired) (USAFA, 1991) is 35-81 in his third year.
St. Bonaventure: Larry Sudbrook (Ken State, 1978) is 570-577-7 in his 27th year.
Mount St. Mary's: Scott Thomson (Old Dominion) is 279-448 in his 16th year.
Georgetown: Pete Wilk (Rollins 1987) is 273-485 in his 14th year.
Western Michigan: Billy Gernon (Indiana, 1990) is 53-67 in his third year.
Air Force - 2-6
St. Bonaventure - 1-3
Mount St. Mary's - 3-4
Georgetown - 2-2
Western Michigan - 1-7
vs. St. Bonaventure: First Meeting
vs. Mount St. Mary's: First Meeting
vs. Georgetown: AF leads, 6-0
vs. Western Michigan: First Meeting
Falcons Travel To Snowbird Baseball Classic
The Air Force baseball team travels to the state of Florida to take part in the Snowbird Baseball Classic, March 1-3 in Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. The Falcons will take on St. Bonaventure, Mount St. Mary's, Georgetown and Western Michigan. Livestats will be available for all four games.
Series History vs. Opponents
- Air Force plays St. Bonaventure, Mount St. Mary's and Western Michigan for the first time.
- Air Force is 6-0 all-time vs. Georgetown.
- The Falcons and Hoyas first met in 1992 and last met in 2000.
Scouting St. Bonaventure
- St. Bonaventure is currently 1-3 on the season.
- The Bonnies are batting .262, have a 9.77 ERA and fielding .960 so far this season.
- Senior second baseman Jason Radwan leads the team in hitting, batting .444.
Scouting Mount St. Mary's
- Mount St. Mary's is 3-4 on the season.
- The Mountaineers are batting .267, have a 7.20 ERA and fielding .931 on the season.
- Senior first baseman Sam Nott leads the team in hitting, batting .429.
- Georgetown is currently 2-2 this season.
- The Hoyas are batting .273, have a 2.97 ERA and fielding .930.
- Senior second baseman Danny Poplawski leads the team in hitting, batting .533.
Scouting Western Michigan
- Western Michigan is 1-7 this season.
- The Broncos are batting .250, have a 8.13 ERA and fielding .926.
- Freshman leftfielder Brandon Cable leads the team in hitting, batting .400.
- St. Bonaventure junior outfielder Mark Hutmacher is a Colorado native, hailing from Lone Tree. Hutmacher attended Arapahoe High School.
- Georgetown senior RHP Neal Dennison and Air Force sophomore outfielder David Thomas both hail from Houston, Texas. Dennison attended Lamar High School and Thomas attended Fort Bend Christian Academy.
- Western Michigan assistant coach Matt Rademacher is a former volunteer assistant coach at Air Force. Rademacher worked with the catchers at AFA during the 2010 season.
Florida Homecoming for Five Falcons
Five members of the Air Force baseball team hail from Florida, the second most state behind Texas.
Yr. Pos. Name - Hometown (High School)
Sr. OF Alex Bast - Pensacola (Pensacola Catholic)
Sr. C/OF Garrett Custons - Sarasota (Sarasota)
Fr. RHP Trent Monaghan - Coral Springs (Nova)
So. 3B Noah Pierce - Orlando (West Orange)
Sr. RHP Matt Zettler - Winter Springs (Winter Springs)
Recapping Navy Series
Air Force went 2-2 against Navy at the Freedom Classic in Kinson, NC.
- The Falcons lost game one 3-1 Friday but rebounded to win game two Saturday 8-7. The teams split Sunday's doubleheader, with Navy winning game one 3-2 and Air Force winning game two 13-3.
- Air Force batted .256, had a 1.85 ERA and fielded .956 against Navy.
- Alex Bast led the way, batting .563 (9-for-16) with five runs, six RBIs and a home run.
- Alex Baker fanned a career-high 10 batters in seven innings for the win vs. Navy on Sunday.
- All four Falcon starting pitchers struck out at least seven batters.
Bast Earns MW Player of the Week Honors
Senior outfielder Alex Bast was named Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week for the Navy series.
Bast hit .562 (9-of-16) against Navy at the Freedom Baseball Classic. Bast recorded multiple hits in three of the four games and had at least one RBI in each game. In Friday's 3-1 loss, Bast was 2-for-4 with an RBI. He was 2-for-4 with two runs scored, a double, a sacrifice fly and two RBI in Saturday's victory. Bast was 1-for-3 with an RBI and a sacrifice fly in the first game of Sunday's doubleheader, a 3-2 loss, and went 4-for-5 with three runs scored, a double, a home run and two RBI in the series closer, a 13-3 victory.
Bast also picked up College Sports Madness MW Player of the Week honors as well.
Falcon Pitching leads MW in Strikeouts
Air Force leads the Mountain West in strikeouts. The Falcons have 66 K's in 66 innings pitched and are averaging 8.25 strikeouts per game. The Falcons have three pitchers in the top 10 for strikeouts including senior Ben Bertelson, who leads the MW with 17 K's.
Falcons Reach 1,000 Wins
With its first win of the season, Feb. 23 against Navy, Air Force reached the 1,000 win mark as a program. The Falcons are in its 57th season as a varsity program, dating back to 1957.
The Falcons will play a three game set, March 8-10, at Gardner-Webb.