UNM Baseball Heads South to Face Rival New Mexico State
March 5, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The Lobos travel south to face in-state-rival New Mexico State at 6:05 p.m. Tuesday in Las Cruces. Both teams are coming off recent losses and are looking to get back in the win column. This will be the first meeting of the Rio Grande Rivalry between the two. The Lobos will play the Aggies four times this season throughout the year.
- The Lobo broadcast with play-by-play announcer Scott Galetti can be heard on ESPN Radio 101.7 The Team for Tuesday’s game against NMSU. Galetti and The Team will broadcast 25 different Lobo baseball games throughout the 2012 season.
- GameTracker, box score and recap will all be available on GoLobos.com.
Against New Mexico State: UNM leads in the all-time series against the NMSU. The two teams last got together in 2011 with the result ending in NMSU taking two games from the Lobos. This will be the first match-up of four this season between the rivals.
Series Record: 150-77
Home: 71-28; Away: 59-43; Neutral: 0-2
Up Next: UNM will face undefeated Gonzaga in a three-game series, beginning Friday, March 9.
LOBO BASEBALL QUICK HITS
- We Really Are New Mexico ... The 2012 New Mexico baseball team has 13 players from the state of New Mexico. It is no secret coach Ray Birmingham wants to take local kids all the way to Omaha. Ever since he got to UNM, he has been a big advocate of recruiting the best local talent New Mexico has to offer.
- Melendez Earns MW POW ... New Mexico Lobo outfielder Josh Melendez was named the Mountain West’s Baseball Player of the Week for games played from Feb. 20-26, 2012. He hit .533 (8-for-15) in the Lobos four-game series at Texas-San Antonio last week.
- Lobos Big Opening Weekend ... The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association has released its first weekly attendance report of the season and the New Mexico Lobos have come in at No. 28 after their home opening weekend series against the University of Nevada.
RUNNING WILD ... The Lobos have totaled 15 stolen bases in 10 games this year compared to 29 stolen bases in 61 games in 2011. Josh Melendez leads the way with five which would hties the team lead set in 61 games last year.
IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME ... The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its weekly attendance report of the season and the New Mexico Lobos have come in at No. 35 after hosting their second home weekend series against Oklahoma.
SCOUTING THE AGGIES ... The New Mexico State Aggies have opened their 2012 season with a 8-6 record including winning 8 of their first 11 games. They are currently on a three game losing streak. Last week they were in Minneapolis, Minn., playing in the Dairy Queen Classic where they went 1-3 including a win over Minnesota.
FOLLOW MY LEAD ... The Lobos have had their leadoff man reach in 32 of the 90 innings they’ve played so far this season. That is an on-base percentage of .356.
SPEED DEMONS ... Two Lobos, junior Josh Melendez and senior Ben Woodchick, stole home in the series against UTSA. It was the first time a Lobo had stolen home since Alex Allbritton accomplished the feat against Northern Colorado on Feb. 28, 2010.
RECORD START ... Starting CF Josh Melendez set a UNM record under coach Ray Birmingham by reaching base in his first seven plate appearances of the season. It’s the most consecutive times reaching base to start a season and to start a career under Birmingham.
THERE’S A FIRST FOR EVERYTHING ... 12 Lobos got their first taste of D-1 baseball in the season opening series against Nevada Feb. 17-19.
POWER WALKING ... The Lobos as a team had 17 walks compared to only 14 strikeouts in their season opening series, including six from starting CF Josh Melendez.