Mountain West Baseball Weekly Release - March 13, 2012
March 13, 2012
- Conference play begins ... Mountain West competition begins this week with preseason favorite TCU travelling to UNLV, while San Diego State goes on the road to New Mexico. Teams will play home-and-home three-game series during the regular season with the top four teams advancing to the Conference Championship, May 24-27, at Earl E. Wilson Stadium in Las Vegas, Nev.
- Elander Named to Johnny Bench Watch List ... TCU junior catcher Josh Elander has been named to the Johnny Bench Award watch list. He is one of 43 members on the first list of the season. The initial watch list featured 43 catchers. More could be added as the season progresses and a group of semifinalists will be announced May 16. Three finalists will be unveiled June 4 and the winner is scheduled to be announced June 28 at a banquet in Wichita, Kansas. The Johnny Bench Award winner is selected by the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission and is sponsored by the Coleman Company and Papa John's Pizza. Twelve former winners are currently playing in Major League Baseball, including Buster Posey (2008), Kurt Suzuki (2004), Ryan Garko (2003) and Kelly Shoppach (2001). James Madison's Jake Lowery was the 2011 winner. TCU's Bryan Holaday was the award recipient in 2010.
- MW Baseball on Television ... The 2012 MW baseball television schedule will include 47 games on national television, with the possibility of a 48th game if a second championship contest is necessary at the 2012 Mountain West Baseball Championship. The full schedule is available on TheMWC.com. 46 games will be shown on The Mtn. - MountainWest Sports Network with the first game of the season, San Diego State hosting Washington, airing on Opening Day, Feb. 17 at 6 p.m. PT. The Mtn. will televise every game of the MW Baseball Championship from Earl E. Wilson Stadium in Las Vegas, Nev., May 24-27. It will be the sixth consecutive season that every game of the baseball championship will be televised. CBS Sports Network (CBSSN) will air one game this season on Tuesday, April 10 at 7 p.m. MT when New Mexico hosts Arizona State. CBS Sports Network is widely available on cable systems across the country and via satellite on DirecTV (Channel 613). Dish Network carries CBS Sports Network on Channel 152. The Mtn. is carried nationally by DirecTV (Channel 616) and on numerous cable operators throughout the country.
- On the disabled list ... New Mexico senior Luke Campbell will miss 8-12 weeks to start the season. The projected four-hole hitter for the Lobos suffered a broken orbital bone when a foul ball blind-sided him during practice last week ... Also missing in action to start the 2012 season will be San Diego State head coach Tony Gwynn. Gwynn had surgery on Feb. 14 to remove a new cancerous tumor inside his right cheek. Gwynn had previously had a malignant growth removed from the same spot in August 2010.
- Mountain West Baseball on Twitter ... Follow your favorite Mountain West baseball teams and catch up on news from around the league on Twitter at @TheMWCOlySports.
|This Week In Mountain West Baseball|
|Game||Time||TV/Webcast||MARCH 13 (TUESDAY)|
|TCU at Texas-San Antonio||6 p.m. CT|
|New Mexico State at NEW MEXICO||6 p.m. MT||GoLobos.com|
|Southern Utah at UNLV||6:05 p.m. PT||UNLVRebels.com||MARCH 16 (FRIDAY)|
|AIR FORCE vs. Tennessee-Martin
St. Louis, Mo.
|11 a.m. CT|
|* SAN DIEGO STATE at NEW MEXICO||6 p.m. MT||GoLobos.com|
|* TCU at UNLV||6:05 p.m. PT||UNLVRebels.com||MARCH 17 (SATURDAY)|
|AIR FORCE at Saint Louis||2 p.m. CT|
|* SAN DIEGO STATE at NEW MEXICO||2 p.m. MT||GoLobos.com|
|* TCU at UNLV||2:05 p.m. PT||UNLVRebels.com||MARCH 18 (SUNDAY)|
|AIR FORCE vs. Western Illinois
|11 a.m. CT|
|* SAN DIEGO STATE at NEW MEXICO||1 p.m. MT||GoLobos.com|
|* TCU at UNLV||1:05 p.m. PT||UNLVRebels.com||MARCH 20 (TUESDAY)|
|AIR FORCE at #22 Oklahoma||6:30 p.m. CT|
|TCU at Texas State||6:30 p.m. CT|
|San Diego at SAN DIEGO STATE||6 p.m. PT||GoAztecs.com||MARCH 21 (WEDNESDAY)|
|AIR FORCE at #22 Oklahoma||3 p.m. CT|
|UNLV at #11 Arizona State||5:30 p.m. PT|
|* = Mountain West game|
|The Mtn. = MountainWest Sports Network||DirecTV 616|
|CBSSN = CBS Sports Network||DirecTV 613|
|Live stats available for most games.|