Falcons Travel To Oklahoma For Mid-Week Games
March 19, 2012
Tuesday, March 20 (1 p.m. CST) ***Moved up from original 6:30 start time due to weather & NCAA women's basketball game in Norman.***
Wednesday, March 21 (3 p.m.)
L. Dale Mitchell Stadium - Norman, Okla.
soonersports.com (fee required)
AF: Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) is 23-48 in his second year.
Oklahoma: Sunny Golloway (Oklahoma Christian, 1984), 272-144-1, 8th year at OU. 607-300-1, 15th year overall.
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 1-1 at Saint Louis Tournament last weekend.
Oklahoma - Went 0-3 at home against Texas last weekend.
- OU leads 3-0.
Falcons Travel To Oklahoma For Mid-Week Games
The Air Force baseball team travels to Oklahoma for a pair of mid-week games, March 20-21, in Norman, Okla. Live video and stats will be available for both games.
Wrapping Up 18-Straight On Road To Start 2012
With its two games at Oklahoma, Air Force will have played 18 games in a row on the road to start the 2012 season. Air Force plays its first home games this weekend, opening Mountain West Conference play by hosting UNLV. Air Force plays just 14 home games and just two mid-week non-conference home games, both vs. Northern Colorado.
Oklahoma is 11-9 on the season after getting swept at home against Texas over the weekend.
- The Sooners are batting .275, have an ERA of 5.16 and are fielding .969.
- Jr. OF/1B Max White is OU's top hitter, batting .312 with 21 RBIs.
- Jr. RHP Damien Magnifico (0-0, 5.79) and Jr. RHP Drew Harrison (0-0, 5.40) are slated to pitch against Air Force.
- OU leads the series 3-0.
- The two teams last met in 2004, when then-#13 Oklahoma won 16-2.
- The Falcons lost 12-9 to OU in 1983 and 13-2 in their first meeting in 1971.
Falcons vs. Big 12
- Air Force is 4-26 all-time in 34 games vs. Big 12 Conference opponents.
- Air Force will place two Big 12 teams this season, as it plays Kansas in May.
- Air Force's last Big 12 opponent was Kansas last year.
Air Force-Opponent Connections
- Air Force does not have a player on its roster from Oklahoma.
- Jr. RHP Alex Baker and Oklahoma players Eric Ross, Kindle Ladd and Jake Smith hail from McKinney, Texas. Baker and Smith were teammates at McKinney HS. Ross and Ladd are from McKinney North HS.
Recapping Last Week
- Air Force went 1-1 at the Saint Louis Tournament last weekend. The Falcons lost 6-2 to UT-Martin Friday and defeated Western Illinois 7-3 on Sunday. Saturday's game with host Saint Louis was rained out. Both games were played at GCS Stadium in Sauget, Ill. due to rainy conditions at SLU's home stadium in St. Louis.
- The Falcons batted .227, fielded .936 and had a 3.50 ERA over the weekend.
- 1B Seth Kline led the Falcons in hitting, batting .429 (3-for-7). Kline had a career-high three hits vs. Western Illinois.
- Alex Bast hit his first-career homer in win against Western Illinois.
- Evan Abrecht picked up his first win of the season vs. WIU. Abrecht has pitched into the 7th inning in every start so far this season.
- Cameron White pitched six innings, striking out five vs. UT Martin. White has pitched at least six innings and K'd at least five in each start.
Looking for First True Road Win
Air Force is 0-9 on the road this season. The Falcons are 4-3 in neutral-site games. Last year, Air Force was 3-18 on the road.
Pitching Off To A Solid Start In 2012
Five weeks into the season, the Air Force pitching staff is off to a very solid start. The Falcons currently post a 3.96 ERA. That total is 0.83 runs a game lower after 16 games compared to last year and 5.88 runs per game lower than two years ago at the same point in the season.
Starting Pitching Also Off To A Good Start
Air Force starting pitchers are off its best start in nearly a decade. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 3.61 ERA, having struck out 74 in 97.1 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 4.00 ERA and just two years ago had a 10.30 ERA.
White Leads MW In Innings and Strikeouts
Sophomore right-hander Cameron White is developing into an effective front-line starting pitcher for Air Force. White enters the weekend with team-leading totals of a 2.10 ERA and 29 strikeouts in 34.1 innings. White leads the Moutain West in innings pitched and strikeouts and is second in ERA. White has allowed just eight earned runs through his first five starts. In both of White's complete game efforts, the Falcons failed to score a run.
Freshmen Seeing Significant Action
Several freshman are seeing immediate playing time for the Falcons this year. Six freshmen has started in the field for the Falcons. Air Force has at least three freshmen in 14 of 16 games and four or more rookies in five games.
Custons Amongst Top MW Hitters & Catchers
Junior C/OF Garrett Custons currently ranks in the Mountain West top 10 in eight offensive categories. In addition to his offensive numbers, Custons ranks first in the conference with five runners thrown out attempting to steal, despite starting just 6 of 16 games this season at catcher.
The Falcons open Mountain West Conference play hosting UNLV, March 23-25.