Air Force Baseball Travels To Wichita State and UNLV
March 25, 2013
at Wichita State Shockers - Tuesday, March 26 - 6:30 pm CST
at Wichita State - Wednesday, March 27 - 3 pm
at UNLV Rebels - Friday, March 29 - 6 pm PST
at UNLV - Saturday, March 30 - 2 pm
at UNLV - Sunday, March 31 - 1pm
- Wichita State series at Eck Stadium - Wichita, Kan.
- UNLV series at Earl E. Wilson Stadium - Las Vegas, Nev.
- Live stats for all five games at goairforcefalcons.com
- Twitter updates at: @AF_Falcons
- Live broadcast and webcast (fee required) for Wichita State series at goshockers.com
- Live webcast (fee required) for UNLV series at UNLVrebels.com
AF: Mike Kazlausky (Maj. Retired) (USAFA, 1991) is 41-88 in his third year.
Wichita State: Gene Stephenson (Missouri 1968) is 1,810-658-5 in his 36th year at Wichita State.
UNLV: Tim Chambers (Southern Utah, 1989) is 76-63 in his third year at UNLV and is 483-202-1 in his 14th year overall.
Air Force - 8-13, 1-2 Mountain West
Wichita State - 12-11
UNLV - 17-7, 2-4 Mountain West
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Defeated Fresno State 14-7 Friday, with Saturday and Sunday games getting snowed out.
Wichita State - Went 1-3 at Hawai'i.
UNLV - Went 1-2 at San Diego State.
vs. Wichita State: Wichita State leads, 7-0
vs. UNLV - UNLV leads, 21-75
Falcons Travel to Wichita State and UNLV
The Air Force baseball hits the road during Spring Break for road games at Wichita State and UNLV. The Falcons take on Wichita State March 26-27 and UNLV March 29-31. Live stats and webcasts will be available for all five games.
Series History vs. Wichita State
- Air Force is 0-7 all-time vs. Wichita State.
- The two teams first met in 1998.
- In the last meeting in 2011, Wichita State swept the two games series in Wichita.
Air Force vs. MVC
- The Falcons are 8-33 all-time in games against The Missouri Valley Conference schools.
Scouting Wichita State
- Wichita State is 12-11 on the season.
- The Shockers are batting .290, have a 4.36 ERA and are fielding .978.
- 1B/OF Casey Gillaspie is Wichita State's top hitter, batting .316 with seven homers and 20 RBIs.
- RHP A.J. Ladwig (2-2, 5.04) and RHP Zach Beringer (1-1, 6.23) are slated to pitch vs. Air Force.
Wichita State Connections
- Wichita State has two players on its roster from Colorado. So. OF Mikel Mucha and Jr. OF Micah Green are both from Aurora and attended Cherokee Trail High School.
- Air Force has one player on its roster from Kansas. Junior OF/RHP David Baska is a native of Overland Park and attended St. Thomas Aquinas High School.
- UNLV is 17-7, 2-4 on the season.
- The Rebels are batting .294, have a 3.07 ERA and fielding .951.
- OF Mark Shannon leads the Rebels in hitting, batting .351 with 17 RBIs. - RHP Andrew Beresford (3-0, 0.73) is UNLV's top pitcher.
UNLV has two players on its roster from Colorado. So. RHP John Richy (Golden - Golden HS) and Sr. OF/RHP Mark Shannon (Littleton - Chatfield HS/Northern Colorado).
Recapping Last Week
The Falcons went 2-1 last week, splitting two games vs. Omaha and defeating Fresno State Friday.
- The Falcons batted .368, had a 4.67 and fielded .976 over the week.
- Seth Kline batted .615 (8-for-13) to lead the Falcon offense.
- Alex Backer pitched a career-high 7.2 innings in the 2-0 win over Omaha.
- Cameron White pitched 8.0 innings in the win over Fresno State.
- Coleman Poje hit his first-career homer and had his first three career hits in the Fresno State game.
After 18 straight on the road to start the season, the Falcons got three games in at Falcon Field. The Flacons are hitting .102 points higher and fielding .024 percent better at home.
White Anchoring Pitching Staff
Junior right-hander Cameron White is off to one of the best starts ever by a Falcon pitcher. White currently leads the Mountain West with 46.2 innings pitched and is in the conference top 10 in ERA (2.89) and strikeouts (29). White has allowed just two walks all season, one of which is an intentional walk. The last Falcon to post an ERA below 3.00 was back in 1982. White currently has the sixth-lowest ERA in a season in school history.
Bertelson A Strikeout Machine
Despite missing his last start due to a snowout, senior left-hander Ben Bertelson currently ranks second in the Mountain West with 39 strikeouts in 29.2 innings pitched. The Midland, Texas native has struck out at least eight batters in four of five starts and has nine K's in three starts. Bertelson recently cracked Air Force's Top 10 list for strikeouts, ranking 10th with 178 K's.
Pitching Off To Hot Start
The Falcon pitching staff is off to a fast start to 2013. Air Force currently ranks fourth in the conference with a staff ERA of 4.34 and 153 strikeouts. The Falcons currently have their lowest ERA as a staff since 1979. The Falcons also boast three of the top seven pitchers in strikeouts.
Stellar Starting Pitching
Air Force is getting steady production out of its starting pitching so far in 2013. The Falcon starters have logged at least five innings in 18 of 21 games this season. The starters have allowed three-or-fewer earned runs in 13 games.
The Falcon bullpen has proven to be solid for the Falcons also this season. The bullpen has an ERA of 4.38. Last year, the bullpen ERA was 7.47.
The Falcons travel to Northern Colorado on Wed. April 3, then host New Mexico for a weekend series, April 5-7.