Falcons Travel To CSU Bakersfield
March 26, 2012
Tuesday, March 27 (6 p.m. PST)
Wednesday, March 28 (5 p.m.)
Hardt Field - Bakersfield, Calif.
gorunners.com (fee required)
AF: Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) is 25-51 in his second year.
CSUB: Bill Kernen (Redlands, 1970) is 79-103 in his 4th year at CSUB. He is 319-259-3 in his 11th year as a head coach.
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 2-1 hosting UNLV last weekend.
CSUB - Went 0-3 at Washington last weekend.
CSUB leads, 5-0
CSUB beat Air Force 5-0 last year in Surprise, Ariz.
Falcons Travel To CSU Bakersfield
Air Force opens up a five-game Spring Break road trip with a pair of games at CSU Bakersfield, March 27-28. Live stats and live audio will available for both games.
Looking for First True Road Win
Air Force is 0-11 on the road this season. The Falcons are 4-3 in neutral-site games. Last year, Air Force was 3-18 on the road.
CSU Bakersfield is 7-14 on the season after going 0-3 at Washington over the weekend.
- The Roadrunners are batting .260, have an ERA of 4.29 and are fielding .953.
- Sr. 3B D.C. Legg is CSUB's top hitter, batting .324 with three homers and 15 RBIs.
- Sr. RHP Spenser Messmore (1-1, 0.50) is slated to start vs. the Falcons.
Series History vs. CSUB
- Air Force is 0-5 all-time vs. CSUB, getting swept in a four-game series to open the 2010 season and losing 5-0 last year at the Coca Cola Spring Classic in Surprise Ariz.
Last year vs. CSUB
The Air Force baseball team dropped a 5-0 contest to CSU Bakersfield Saturday, March 5, 2011, at the Coca-Cola Classic at the Surprise Sports Complex.
Left-hander Jonathan Montoya (2-0) held the Falcons to seven hits, while fanning nine, in the complete-game shutout. It was CSUB's second-consecutive shutout.
The Falcons squandered a solid start from right-hander Sean Carley (0-2). The sophomore held the Runners to five runs, four earned, on seven hits in seven innings pitched. Stephen Colangelo also pitched a scoreless eighth inning for the Falcons, striking out two.
CSU Bakersfield scored two runs in the second and fourth innings and one more in the fifth.
Air Force was led offensively by senior first baseman Parker Mayo, who went 2-for-4. Garrett Custons and Nathan Carter added doubles for the Falcons.
CSUB had eight hits in the game. Ryan McIntyre went 2-for-3 with two runs to lead the Runners.
Recapping UNLV Series
- Air Force went 2-1 vs. UNLV over the weekend. The Falcons won game one, 10-7, lost game two 15-4, and won game three 12-5.
- The Falcons batted .355, fielded .975 and had an ERA of 8.33.
- Air Force had season-high's for hits (16) and runs in game three of the series.
- Five Falcons batted .400 or better in the series.
- Fr. DH Casey Gibson led the Falcons in hitting, batting .571 (4-for-7) and hit his first-career homer.
- Garrett Custon batted .538 with seven hits and six runs scored.
- Noah Pierce had two hits in all three games and batted .462.
- Alex Bast batted .500 (6-for-12).
- Seth Kline batted .455 (6-for-13) with a homer and seven RBIs.
- Cameron White won game one, pitching seven innings and striking out five.
- Evan Abrecht pitched eight innings and struck out a season-high nine batters in the win Sunday.
Falcon Offense Heating Up
After a rough first five weeks to start the season, the Falcon offense is starting to get on track. The Falcons are coming off a week where the team batted .326 to raise the team batting average to .223. The Falcons raised their team batting average 38 points. Air Force was batting .185 after its first 16 games. After having just one game with 10-plus hits in its first 16 games, the Falcons have surpassed 10 hits in its last five games.
Pitching Off To A Solid Start In 2012
Six weeks into the season, the Air Force pitching staff is off to a very solid start. The Falcons currently post a 4.83 ERA. That total is 0.28 runs a game higher after 21 games compared to last year but 5.11 runs per game lower than two years ago at the same point in the season.
Starting Pitching Also Off To A Good Start
Air Force starting pitchers are off its second-best start in nearly a decade. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 4.11 ERA, having struck out 102 in 127.0 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 3.90 ERA and just two years ago had a 10.35 ERA.
White Leads MW In Innings and Strikeouts
Sophomore right-hander Cameron White is developing into an effective front-line starting pitcher for Air Force. White enters the weekend with team-leading totals of a 2.61 ERA and 34 strikeouts in 41.1 innings. White leads the Moutain West in innings pitched and strikeouts and is second in ERA. White has allowed just 12 earned runs through his first six starts. In both of White's complete game efforts, the Falcons failed to score a run.
Freshmen Seeing Significant Action
Several freshman are seeing immediate playing time for the Falcons this year. Six freshmen has started in the field for the Falcons. Air Force has at least three freshmen in 18 of 21 games and four or more rookies in five games.
Custons Amongst Top MW Hitters & Catchers
Junior C/OF Garrett Custons currently ranks in the Mountain West top 10 in 11 offensive categories. In addition to his offensive numbers, Custons ranks first in the conference with seven runners thrown out attempting to steal, despite starting just 10 of 21 games this season at catcher.
The Falcons play a weekend Mountain West Conference series at San Diego State, March 30-April 1.