Air Force Baseball travels to San Diego State
March 29, 2012
Friday, March 30 (6 p.m. PST)
Saturday, March 31 (6 p.m.)
Sunday, April 1 (1 p.m.)
Tony Gwynn Stadium - San Diego, Calif.
Live Audio (Friday)/Live Video (Sat. & Sunday):
AF: Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) is 25-53 in his second year.
SDSU: Tony Gwynn (SDSU) is 275-292 in his 10th year at SDSU.
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 0-2 at CSU Bakersfield.
SDSU - Defeated UC Riverside, 7-3, on Tuesday.
SDSU leads, 84-17
- Air Force went 2-1 at home last year, winning last two games.
Falcons Travel To San Diego State
Air Force baseball travels to San Diego State for a three-game Mountain West series this weekend, March 30-April 1. Livestats and audio/video will be available for the series.
Looking for First True Road Win
Air Force is 0-13 on the road this season. The Falcons are 4-3 in neutral-site games. Last year, Air Force was 3-18 on the road.
Scouting San Diego State
San Diego State is 11-15 on the season after going 1-2 at Cal Poly over the weekend and beating UC Riverside on Tuesday.
- The Aztecs are batting .278, have an ERA of 5.13 and are fielding .971.
- Fr. IF Matt Munoz has been SDSU's top hitter, batting .365 with 13 runs and 12 RBIs.
- Fr. RHP Michael Cederoth (2-0, 3.34), Jr. RHP Travis Pitcher (2-2, 5.19) and Jr. RHP Ryan Doran (0-3, 4.81) are slated to start vs. Air Force.
Series History vs. SDSU
- Air Force and San Diego State have played each other 101 times.
- The Aztecs lead the series 84-17.
- San Diego State had won 35 straight games in the series until the Falcons won the last two games last year.
- The two teams first met on April 1, 1961, where the Aztecs won, 6-3.
(Game-by-game breakdown of series on page 7).
Last Year vs. SDSU
- The Falcons went 2-1 in two three-game sets vs. San Diego State.
- The Falcons batted .340, had a 7.00 ERA and fielded .947 vs. SDSU.
- Matthew Roberts is AFA's top returning hitter vs. SDSU, batting .667 (6-for-9) last year.
- Evan Abrecht and Ben Bertelson started last year vs. SDSU.
Recapping CSUB Series
- Air Force went 0-2 vs. CSU Bakersfield, falling 4-1 Tuesday and 6-2 Wednesday.
- The Falcons batted .164, fielded .944 and had an ERA of 4.50.
- Casey Gibson was AFA's top hitter, batting .333 (2-for-6).
- Freshman Jake Sortor had his first-career hit.
- Todd Del Toro became just the fifth different Falcon pitcher to make a start.
- Mike Kazakoffa and Matt Zettler did not allow a run in relief in both games.
Falcon Offense Heating Up
Last week, Air Force had its best hitting week all season. The Falcons batted .326 in its five games to raise the team batting average 38 points to .223 (currently .218 after CSUB series.). After having just one game with 10-plus hits in its first 16 games, the Falcons surpassed 10 hits in its five straight games prior to the CSUB series.
Pitching Off To A Solid Start In 2012
Six weeks into the season, the Air Force pitching staff is off to a very solid start. The Falcons currently post a 4.80 ERA. That total is 0.06 runs a game lower after 23 games compared to last year and 5.65 runs per game lower than two years ago at the same point in the season.
Starting Pitching Also Off To A Good Start
Air Force starting pitchers are off its best start in nearly a decade. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 4.28 ERA, having struck out 105 in 134.2 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 4.31 ERA and just two years ago had a 11.00 ERA.
White Leads MW In Innings and Strikeouts
Sophomore right-hander Cameron White is developing into an effective front-line starting pitcher for Air Force. White enters the weekend with team-leading totals of a 2.61 ERA and 34 strikeouts in 41.1 innings. White leads the Moutain West in innings pitched and strikeouts and is second in ERA. White has allowed just 12 earned runs through his first six starts. In both of White's complete game efforts, the Falcons failed to score a run.
Freshmen Seeing Significant Action
Several freshman are seeing immediate playing time for the Falcons this year. Six freshmen has started in the field for the Falcons. Air Force has at least three freshmen in 20 of 23 games and four or more rookies in five games.
Custons Amongst Top MW Hitters & Catchers
Junior C/OF Garrett Custons currently ranks in the Mountain West top 10 in 11 offensive categories. In addition to his offensive numbers, Custons ranks first in the conference with eight runners thrown out attempting to steal, despite starting just 11 of 23 games this season at catcher.
The Falcons host Northern Colorado on Tuesday, April 3 and then host New Mexico over Easter weekend for a Thurs.-Sat., series, April 5-7.