Falcons Host Northern Colorado & New Mexico
April 2, 2012
vs. Northern Colorado - Tuesday, April 3 (3 p.m. MST)
vs. New Mexico - Thursday, April 5 (3 p.m.)
vs. New Mexico - Friday, April 6 (3 p.m.)
vs. New Mexico - Saturday, April 7 (12 p.m.)
Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo.
goLobos.com for all New Mexico games
AF: Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) is 25-56 in his second year.
Northern Colorado: Carl Iwasaki (Northern Colorado 1985) is 33-45 in his 2nd year at UNC and 136-185 in his 8th year overall.
New Mexico: Ray Birmingham (New Mexico St., 1978) is 136-132 in his 6th year at UNM and 901-387-2 in his 23rd year overall.
Last Time Out:
AF - Went 0-3 at San Diego State last weekend.
UNC - Went 1-2 at Seattle last weekend.
New Mexico - Went 2-1 at Fresno State last weekend.
- Northern Colorado leads, 95-57
- New Mexico leads, 112-40
- Air Force went 3-1 vs. UNC last year.
- New Mexico swept the three-game series last year in Albuquerque, N.M.
Falcons Host Northern Colorado and New Mexico
Air Force baseball plays host to Northern Colorado and New Mexico this week. The Falcons take on UNC on Tues., April 3 and New Mexico, Thurs.-Sat., April 5-7, at Falcon Field. Live stats will be available for each game. Free admission for all Falcon baseball home games.
Scouting Northern Colorado
Northern Colorado is 9-13 on the season, going 1-2 at Seattle last weekend.
- Bears are batting .312, have an ERA of 7.32 and are fielding .948.
- Sr. SS Adam Hilker leads the team with a .449 average and has 17 runs and 15 RBIs.
Series History vs. UNC
- Air Force and Northern Colorado have played each other 152 times.
- Air Force is 57-95 all time against Northern Colorado.
- The two teams first met on March 22, 1957 where the Bears of Colorado State College defeated the Falcons, 13-3.
Air Force-UNC Connections
- Air Force Sr. infielder Blair Roberts and Northern Colorado So. RHP Michael Wilkes are Parker, Colo., natives and attended Chaparral HS.
- UNC junior RHP Dan Talley is a Colorado Springs native. Talley is a graduate of Liberty High School.
Scouting The New Mexico
New Mexico is 12-14 on the season after going 2-1 at Fresno State over the weekend.
- The Lobos are batting .300, have an ERA of 5.22 and are fielding .964.
- So. 3B D.J. Peterson leads the MW with a .464 batting average and six homers.
- So. RHP Josh Walker (2-2, 4.02) and Jr. RHP Austin House (1-3, 3.32) are slated to start on the mound vs. AF.
Series History vs. New Mexico
- Air Force and New Mexico have played each other 152 times.
- The Lobos lead the series 112-40 and have won the last 20 meetings in the series.
- The two teams first met on May 2, 1957 where the Falcons defeated UNM, 8-7, in ten innings at the Academy.
Air Force-UNM Connections
- New Mexico has five players on its roster from Colorado.
Jr. IF Alex Albritton (Aurora - Grandview HS)
Jr. OF Luke Campbell (Arvada - Arvada West HS)
Jr. 1B/RHP Jacob Nelson (Lakewood - Wheatridge HS)
So. OF John Pustay (Colorado Springs - Pine Creek HS)
Jr. RHP Shan Zaruba (Longmont - Skyline HS)
Recapping SDSU Series
- Air Force went 0-3 vs. San Diego State last weekend. The Falcons lost 18-13 Friday, 6-2 Saturday and 5-3 Sunday.
- The Falcons batted .291, fielded .910 and had an ERA of 3.75.
- Air Force allowed 29 runs, but just 10 were earned.
- Jr. RHP Ben Bertelson struck out 13 on Saturday, the most by a Falcon pitcher since 1983 and the most ever in conference play.
- Bertelson and Sr. RHP Evan Abrecht tossed back-to-back complete games.
- Fr. 3B Noah Pierce was Air Force's top hitter, batting .462 (6-for-13). Pierce had four hits in the first game.
- Fr. OF David Thomas hit a pair of triples Sunday.
- Jr. C/OF Garrett Custons scored four runs on Friday.
- Sr. 2B Blair Roberts drew three walks on Saturday.
- Jr. CF Alex Bast had five RBIs Friday.
Falcon Offense Improved in MW Play
Air Force is batting .323 in Mountain West play. That number is .128 points higher than the teams' .195 batting average in non-conference games. The Falcons are batting .228 overall. The Falcons have five players batting over .400 in MW play.
Kline Injured at San Diego State
Air Force sophomore first-baseman Seth Kline was injured in a bang-bang play at first-base against San Diego State on March 30. Kline suffered facial injuries that will most likely end his 2012 season. Kline, Air Force's cleanup hitter, was batting .350 at the time of the injury, including a .444 average in Mountain West play.
Pitching Off To A Solid Start In 2012
Seven weeks into the season, the Air Force pitching staff is off to a very solid start. The Falcons currently post a 4.69 ERA. That total is 0.12 runs a game lower after 26 games compared to last year and 5.55 runs per game lower than two years ago at the same point in the season.
Starting Pitching Also Off To A Good Start
Air Force starting pitchers are off its best start in nearly a decade. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 4.04 ERA, having struck out 129 in 156.0 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 4.18 ERA and just two years ago had a 10.95 ERA.
Weekend Rotation Very Strong
Air Force's weekend rotation of So. RHP Cameron White, Jr. LHP Ben Bertelson and Sr. RHP Evan Abrecht is one of the best weekend rotations at Air Force in recent memory. All three rank in the MW top 10 in innings pitched and strikeouts. Bertelson leads the conference with 40 K's, while White ranks second with 38 and Abrecht is third with 34. Last weekend at San Diego State, the starting rotation pitched 21.2 of 24 innings.
Looking for First True Road Win Air Force is 0-16 on the road this season. The Falcons are 4-3 in neutral-site games. Last year, Air Force was 3-18 on the road.
Freshmen Seeing Significant Action
Several freshman are seeing immediate playing time for the Falcons this year. Six freshmen has started in the field for the Falcons. Air Force has at least three freshmen in 23 of 26 games and four or more rookies in seven games.
Custons Amongst Top MW Hitters & Catchers
Junior C/OF Garrett Custons currently ranks in the Mountain West top 10 in 11 offensive categories. In addition to his offensive numbers, Custons ranks first in the conference with 10 runners thrown out attempting to steal, despite starting just 13 of 26 games this season at catcher.
18-Straight On Road To Start 2012
Air Force played its first 18 games to start the 2012 season on the road, going 4-14 in that stretch. Air Force played its first home games this past weekend vs. UNLV. Air Force plays just 14 home games and just two mid-week non-conference home games, both vs. Northern Colorado.
The Falcons travel to TCU next weekend, April 13-15.