Falcons Travel to Northern Colorado and host New Mexico
April 2, 2013
at Northern Colorado Bears - Wednesday, April 3 - 3 pm
New Mexico Lobos - Friday, April 5 - 3 pm
New Mexico - Saturday, April 6 - 1 pm
New Mexico - Sunday, April 7 - 12 pm
UNC game at Jackson Field - Greeley, Colo.
UNM series at Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo.
- Live stats for all five games at goairforcefalcons.com
- Twitter updates at: @AF_Falcons
AF: Mike Kazlausky (Maj. Retired) (USAFA, 1991) is 41-93 in his third year.
UNC: Carl Iwasaki (Northern Colorado, 1985) 59-78 in his third year at UNC and is 161-208 in his ninth year overall.
UNM: Ray Birmingham (New Mexico, 1978) is 179-146 in his sixth year at UNM and is 232-219 in his eighth year overall.
Air Force - 8-18, 2-5 Mountain West
UNC - 8-13
UNM - 13-14, 6-3 Mountain West
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Lost all three games at UNLV over the weekend.
UNC - Went 1-2 hosting South Dakota State over the weekend.
UNM - Went 2-1 at San Diego State over the weekend.
UNC - UNC leads 60-96
UNM - UNM leads 117-40
Falcons Travel to Northern Colorado and host New Mexico
The Air Force baseball plays four games this week. The Falcons travel to Northern Colorado on Wednesday, April 3, then host a weekend series, April 5-7, against New Mexico.
- Northern Colorado is 8-13 on the season.
- The Bears are batting .247, have a 5.63 ERA and fielding .962.
- 1B/RHP Nick Miller leads the team in hitting, batting .391 with 15 RBIs.
- RHP Josh Tinnon (1-1, 3.94) leads UNC in pitching.
Series History vs. Northern Colorado
- Air Force and Northern Colorado have played each other 156 times.
- Air Force is 60-96 all time against Northern Colorado.
- The two teams first met on March 22, 1957 where the Bears of Colorado State College defeated the Falcons, 13-3.
- Last year, the Falcons went 3-1 vs. UNC.
Northern Colorado Connections
- UNC senior RHP Dan Talley is a Colorado Springs native. Talley is a graduate of Liberty High School.
Scouting New Mexico
- New Mexico is 13-14, 6-3 on the season.
- The Lobos are batting .317, have a 5.34 ERA and are fielding .961.
- 1B DJ Peterson leads the Mountain West in several offensive categories, including average (.410), homers (11) and RBIs (35).
- RHP A.J. Carman (1-0, 4.91) anchors the Lobo pitching staff.
Series History vs. New Mexico
- Air Force and New Mexico have played each other 157 times.
- The Lobos lead the series 117-40.
- The two teams first met on May 2, 1957 where the Falcons defeated UNM, 8-7, in ten innings at the Academy.
- Last year, the Falcons went 1-5 vs. UNM. The win snapped a 22-game losing streak to the Lobos.
New Mexico Connections
- New Mexico has five players on its roster from Colorado.
Sr. IF Alex Albritton (Aurora - Grandview HS)
Fr. RHP Drew Bridges (Fruita - Monument HS)
Sr. OF Luke Campbell (Arvada - Arvada West HS)
Fr. IF Sam Haggerty (Denver - Mullen HS)
Jr. OF John Pustay (Colorado Springs - Pine Creek HS)
Recapping UNLV Series
The Falcons were swept in a three-game series at UNLV last weekend. The Falcons lost 4-1, 11-10 and 8-7.
- The Falcons batted .287, had a 6.92 ERA and fielded .937 in the series.
- Brian Sicher batted .556 (5-for-9) to lead the Falcons.
- Cameron White and Steven Trojan pitched six innings in starts vs. UNLV.
Air Force-San Diego State Game To Be Televised
CBS Sports Network (CBSSN) has selected to broadcast one Mountain West baseball contest in May and it will be the Air Force at San Diego State baseball showdown on May 11 at 1 p.m. PT.
Air Force has 10 one-run losses on the season, four by walk-off. The Falcons are 2-10 in one-run games so far this season and were 4-6 last year.
Air Force has played 23 road games to just three home games so far in 2013. The Falcons are hitting .111 points higher and fielding .024 percent better at home. The Falcons play 13 of their final 29 games at home.
White Anchoring Pitching Staff
Junior right-hander Cameron White is off to one of the best starts ever by a Falcon pitcher. White currently leads the Mountain West with 52.2 innings pitched and is in the conference top 10 in ERA (3.08) and strikeouts (33). White has allowed just two walks all season, one of which is an intentional walk. White currently has the 10th-lowest ERA in a season in school history.
Baker On A Roll
Senior RHP Alex Baker has rebounded strongly after a tough season-opening start. After allowing 11 runs in his first start of the season at UTSA, the right-hander has allowed just four earned runs in his past 30.2 innings pitched for a 1.17 ERA over that span. Recently, Baker tossed 15.2 consecutive scoreless innings. Baker surrently ranks in the MW top 10 in strikeouts with 37 in 34 innings pitched.
Bertelson A Strikeout Machine
Despite missing one start due to a snowout, senior left-hander Ben Bertelson currently ranks second in the Mountain West with 49 strikeouts in 39.1 innings pitched. The Midland, Texas native has struck out at least eight batters in four of six starts and has nine K's in three starts. Bertelson recently cracked Air Force's Top 10 list for strikeouts, currently ranking ninth with 188 K's.
Pitching Off To Hot Start
The Falcon pitching staff is off to a fast start to 2013. Air Force currently ranks third in the conference with a staff ERA of 4.57 and 189 strikeouts. The Falcons currently have their lowest ERA as a staff since 1979. The Falcons also boast three of the top10 pitchers in the conference in strikeouts.
Stellar Starting Pitching
Air Force is getting steady production out of its starting pitching so far in 2013. The Falcon starters have logged at least five innings in 22 of 26 games this season. The starters have allowed three-or-fewer earned runs in 15 games
The Falcon bullpen has proven to be solid for the Falcons also this season. The bullpen has an ERA of 5.12. Last year, the bullpen ERA was 7.47.
Custons Enters Falcon Record Books
Senior catcher/outfielder Garrett Custons is starting to enter several of the Air Force top 10 lists. With his first hit of the season, the Sarasota, Fla., native got to 200 career hits and is currently at 234. Custons is currently in the Air Force Top 10 list in six offensive categories.
The Falcons travel to Omaha and Creighton next week and then follow with a weekend series hosting San Diego State.