Mountain West Baseball Weekly Release - May 1, 2012
May 1, 2012
- TCU hosts New Mexico in first-place showdown ... First place is on the line this week in Fort Worth, Texas. League-leading New Mexico (12-3) faces TCU (11-4) at Lupton Stadium on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, May 4-6, for the top spot in the standings and a shot at the No. 1 seed in the 2012 Mountain West Baseball Championship. The Lobos currently hold a 2-1 lead in the 2012 series ... All five teams will play home-and-home three-game series during the regular season with the top four teams advancing to the Conference Championship, May 24-27, at Earl E. Wilson Stadium in Las Vegas, Nev.
- Air Force making a move ... After taking two of three games from San Diego State at Falcon Field over the past weekend, Air Force is back in a tie for fourth-place in the Mountain West standings and a shot at making the MW tournament for the first time since 2006. With six conference games left to play, Air Force already has its most MW wins in a season (5) since 2002 (14).
- New Mexico records most series wins ... New Mexico won its eighth consecutive weekend series with a sweep of UNLV last weekend. It is the most consecutive weekend series victories in Lobo history (previous record was six in 2010).
- Schlossnagle Earns No. 450 ... TCU head coach Jim Schlossnagle earned his 450th career win on Saturday, April 28, when the Horned Frogs defeated Manhattan, 12-5. Schlossnagle is 451-215 in his 11th year as a collegiate head coach. 374 of those wins have come during his nine seasons at TCU.
- Tops in Attendance ... In the most recent Division I Baseball Attendance survey conducted by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association, TCU and New Mexico rank among the Top 40 in the nation in home attendance in 2012. The Horned Frogs rank 10th in average attendance at 4,161 and 11th in total at 104,026. TCU is just one of 11 teams in the nation to have over 100,000 fans come through the front door so far this season, first among teams not in the SEC, Big 12 or ACC. The Lobos are 39th in average (1,609) and 33rd in total (45,055).
- MW Baseball on Television ... The 2012 MW baseball television schedule will include 47 games on national television, with the possibility of a 48th game if a second championship contest is necessary at the 2012 Mountain West Baseball Championship. The full schedule is available on TheMWC.com. 12 games remain on the regular season schedule, all on The Mtn. - MountainWest Sports Network. The Mtn. also will televise every game of the MW Baseball Championship from Earl E. Wilson Stadium in Las Vegas, Nev., May 24-27. It will be the sixth consecutive season that every game of the baseball championship will be televised. The Mtn. is carried nationally by DirecTV (Channel 616) and on numerous cable operators throughout the country.
- Mountain West Baseball on Twitter ... Follow your favorite Mountain West baseball teams and catch up on news from around the league on Twitter at @TheMWCOlySports.
|This Week In Mountain West Baseball|
|Game||Time||TV/Webcast||MAY 1 (TUESDAY)|
|Oklahoma at TCU||6:30 p.m. CT||The Mtn./TCU|
|UC Irvine at SAN DIEGO STATE||6 p.m. PT||The Mtn./4SD
tape delay - 9 p.m. PT
|UC Riverside at UNLV||6:05 p.m. PT||UNLVRebels.com||MAY 2 (WEDNESDAY)|
|UC Riverside at UNLV||3:05 p.m. PT||UNLVRebels.com||MAY 4 (FRIDAY)|
|AIR FORCE vs. Missouri State
|2 p.m. CT|
|AIR FORCE at Kansas||6 p.m. CT|
|* NEW MEXICO at TCU||6:30 p.m. CT||The Mtn./TCU
tape delay - 11 p.m. CT
|* UNLV at SAN DIEGO STATE||6 p.m. PT||The Mtn./4SD||MAY 5 (SATURDAY)|
|AIR FORCE vs. Missouri State
|11 a.m. CT|
|AIR FORCE at Kansas||3 p.m. CT|
|* NEW MEXICO at TCU||5 p.m. CT||The Mtn./TCU|
|* UNLV at SAN DIEGO STATE||6 p.m. PT||The Mtn./4SD||MAY 6 (SUNDAY)|
|* NEW MEXICO at TCU||12:30 p.m. CT||The Mtn./TCU|
|* UNLV at SAN DIEGO STATE||1 p.m. PT||The Mtn./4SD|
|* = Mountain West game|
|The Mtn. = MountainWest Sports Network||DirecTV 616|
|CBSSN = CBS Sports Network||DirecTV 613|
|Live stats available for most games.|