Air Force Travels to #17 New Mexico
May 2, 2013
at New Mexico Lobos - Friday, May 3 - 3 pm
at New Mexico - Saturday, May 4 - 1 pm
at New Mexico - Sunday, May 5 - 1 pm
Series at Lobo Field - Albuquerque, NM
- Livestats and available through goairforcefalcons.com
- Live web webcast (video) at golobos.com (All-Access Fee Required)
- Twitter updates at: @AF_Falcons
AF: Mike Kazlausky (Maj. Retired) (USAFA, 1991) is 46-105 in his third year.
UNM: Ray Birmingham (New Mexico, 1978) is 193-148 in his sixth year at UNM and is 246-221 in his eighth year overall.
Air Force - 13-30, 5-16
New Mexico - 27-17, 17-4
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 1-2 hosting Nevada last weekend and defeated Northern Colorado 9-7 Tuesday.
New Mexico - Went 3-0 hosting UNLV and lost to Texas Tech 12-8 Tuesday.
New Mexico leads - 119-41
Air Force Travels To #17 New Mexico
Air Force baseball travels to #17 New Mexico this weekend, May 3-5. It is Air Force's first ranked opponent this season.
Scouting New Mexico
- New Mexico is 27-17, 17-4 on the season.
- The Lobos are batting .330, have a 5.16 ERA and are fielding .966.
- 1B DJ Peterson leads the Mountain West in several offensive categories, including average (.419), homers (13) and RBIs (53).
- RHP Drew Bridges (3-1, 3.13) has emerged at New Mexico's top pitcher and will start Friday.
Series History vs. New Mexico
- Air Force and New Mexico have played each other 160 times.
- The Lobos lead the series 119-41.
- The two teams first met on May 2, 1957 where the Falcons defeated UNM, 8-7, in ten innings at the Academy.
- Last year, the Falcons went 1-5 vs. UNM. The win snapped a 22-game losing streak to the Lobos.
New Mexico Connections
- New Mexico has five players on its roster from Colorado.
Sr. IF Alex Albritton (Aurora - Grandview HS)
Fr. RHP Drew Bridges (Fruita - Monument HS)
Sr. OF Luke Campbell (Arvada - Arvada West HS)
Fr. IF Sam Haggerty (Denver - Mullen HS)
Jr. OF John Pustay (Colorado Springs - Pine Creek HS)
- Air Force Sr. SS Matt Thorne and New Mexico Jr. RHP A.J. Carman both attended Judge Memorial Catholic High School in Salt Lake
First Series vs. New Mexico
The Falcons went 1-2 vs. New Mexico April 5-7 at the Academy. The Lobos won game one 11-5 and game two 19-5 before the Falcons took game three 11-4.
- The Falcons batted .358, had a 9.33 ERA and fielded .961 in the series.
- Spencer Draws batted .667 (4-for-6) to lead the Falcon offense.
- David Baska hit .500 with two homers and six runs scored.
- Steven Trojan pitched a career-high seven innings in the win Sunday.
- Bo Wilson picked up his second save of the season Sunday.
Recapping Nevada Series
The Falcons went 1-2 over the weekend hosting Nevada. The Lobos won the first two games by scores of 12-8 and 7-5. The Falcons rallied to win game three 9-7.
- The Falcons batted .330, had a 7.67 ERA and fielded .968 in the series.
- SS Matt Thorne batted .714 (5-for-7) in the series.
- OF David Baska scored five runs and DH Peter Johnson drove in five runs.
- LHP Ben Bertelson struck out six in 6.1 innings in his start Saturday.
Air Force has played 30 road games to just 13 home games so far in 2013. The Falcons are hitting .071 points higher and fielding .013 percent better at home.
Air Force is 11-10 in home and netural site games. Conversely, the Falcons are just 2-20 in true road games.
Custons Closing In On Doubles Record
Senior Garrett Custons enters the New Mexico series with 72 career doubles. He is two shy of the school record of 74 by Mike Thiessen. Custons ranks second in the conference with 17 doubles this season.
Pitching Having a Solid Year
The Falcon pitching staff having a solid season so far in 2013. Air Force currently have a staff ERA of 5.60 and rank third in the conference with 292 strikeouts. The Falcons also boast three of the top 10 pitchers in the conference in strikeouts.
Stellar Starting Pitching
Air Force is getting steady production out of its starting pitching so far in 2013. The Falcon starters have logged at least five innings in 33 of 43 games this season. The starters have allowed three-or-fewer earned runs in 20 games
Bullpen Also Improved
The Falcon bullpen has proven to be solid for the Falcons also this season. The bullpen has an ERA of 6.30. Last year, the bullpen ERA was 7.47.
The Falcons travel to San Diego State, May 10-12.