Mountain West Baseball Weekly Release - NCAA Super Regional
June 5, 2012
- NCAA Tournament ... For the third time in four seasons TCU has advanced to the NCAA Super Regionals. The Horned Frogs will face national No. 2 seed UCLA, June 8-10, in Los Angeles in a best two-of-three series at Jackie Robinson Stadium. Game one is set for 6 p.m. PT on Friday, and will be televised on ESPN. Game two will take place at 6 p.m. PT on Saturday on ESPN2. If necessary, a third game will be played on Sunday, beginning at 7 p.m. PT on ESPN2.
TCU advanced to the Super Regional with a 7-4 win over Mississippi in the regional championship on Monday night in College Station, Texas. TCU's last two visits to the Super Regionals have been against Texas in Austin and went three games each. The Horned Frogs lost the Super Regional in 2009 and won in 2010 to advance to the College World Series in Omaha.
Mountain West regular season co-champions New Mexico and TCU were selected to participate in the 2012 NCAA Baseball Tournament. The Lobos (37-24) earned the league's automatic bid after winning the MW Baseball Championship in Las Vegas on Saturday and made their third consecutive appearance in the NCAA postseason. UNM went 1-2 in the Los Angeles Regional over the weekend.
The Horned Frogs (40-20) are making their ninth consecutive NCAA appearance, seventh as a member of the MW. It is the fourth year in a row that the MW has sent multiple baseball teams to the NCAA tournament.
- Nine Earn NCAA All-Regional Accolades ... Nine Mountain West players received All-Regional recognition following last week's NCAA tournament action. TCU righthander Justin Scharf was named Most Valuable Player of the College Station Regional and was joined by teammates Josh Elander, Kevin Cron, Derek Odell, Kyle Von Tungeln, Jerrick Suiter and Stefan Crichton in earning All-Regional honors. New Mexico third baseman DJ Peterson was named to the UCLA All-Regional team.
- Garver Named Finalist for Johnny Bench Award ... New Mexico catcher Mitchell Garver has been named one of three finalists for the 2012 Johnny Bench Award presented by BaseballSavings.com. The Johnny Bench Award has been given annually to the nation's top collegiate catcher since 2000. The three 2012 finalists will be honored at the Greater Wichita Sports Banquet on June 28. TCU's Bryan Holaday was the 2010 Johnny Bench Award recipient.
- Peterson Named National Semifinalist ... New Mexico third baseman DJ Peterson has been named a semifinalist for two national honors in 2012 - the Golden Spikes Award and the Dick Howser Trophy. Peterson was also named the 2012 Mountain West Co-Player of the Year.
This marks the 35th consecutive year that the Golden Spikes Awrd has been presented to the nation's top amateur baseball player.
The Dick Howser Trophy, presented to the top player in collegiate baseball, is regarded by many as college baseball's most prestigious award. Criteria for consideration of the trophy include performance on the field, leadership, moral character and courage, qualities that were exemplified by the former All-American and professional player/coach, who passed away from brain cancer in 1987. Former San Diego State pitcher Stephen Strasburg was the 2009 Dick Howser Trophy recipient.
- Garver, Morrison and Peterson Named Louisville Slugger All-Americans ... Three Mountain West baseball players were among those honored when the Louisville Slugger All-American teams were announced last week by Collegiate Baseball newspaper. New Mexico teammates and 2012 MW Co-Players of the Year DJ Peterson (third base) and Mitchell Garver (catcher) were named to the first and second teams, respectively, while TCU freshman righthander Preston Morrison was a third-team selection.
The Mountain West was one of 10 conferences to have three or more players named Louisville Slugger All-Americans, and one of six leagues to have at least one player on each of the three teams.
- Elander and Kirk Named Academic All-Americans ... TCU catcher Josh Elander and UNLV outfielder Trevor Kirk have been named to the 2012 Capital One Academic All-America Baseball Third Team. It is the first Capital One Academic honor for both student-athletes. Elander is a junior communications major with a 3.42 GPA. Kirk, a senior, holds a 3.55 GPA in kinesiology.
- Peterson Named to Team USA National Collegiate team ... New Mexico third baseman DJ Peterson has been named to the USA Baseball 2012 Collegiate National Team. The 22-man roster will play games in North Carolina, Cuba and The Netherlands. The 2012 team will assemble on June 23, and embark on a 30-day tour. The team is made primarily of non-draft eligible college players from across the country selected based on their play from both the 2011 and 2012 seasons.
- Padilla Named NCBWA National Hitter of the Week (May 22) ... The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) released its National Player of the Week awards for the period ending May 20. New Mexico freshman outfielder Ryan Padilla was named National Hitter of the Week, while Stanford junior right-handed pitcher Mark Appel and Rice junior right-handed pitcher Tyler Duffey were named Co-National Pitchers of the Week. The NCBWA Board reviews candidates from each Division I Conference each week and names winners each Tuesday throughout the season.
Padilla, a freshman from Albuquerque, New Mexico, hit .588 (10-of-17) for the week as the Lobos beat Rio Grande Rival New Mexico State and swept Air Force to earn a share of the 2012 Mountain West regular-season title. Padilla recorded multiple hits in all four games, scored five runs and drove in 10. He only struck out once in 17 at-bats.
- Tops in Attendance ... In the most recent Division I Baseball Attendance survey conducted by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association, TCU and New Mexico rank among the Top 40 in the nation in home attendance in 2012. The Horned Frogs rank 11th in average attendance at 4,112 and in total at 131,60. TCU is just one of 17 teams in the nation to have over 100,000 fans come through the front door so far this season, first among teams not in the SEC, Big 12 or ACC. The Lobos are 38th in average (1,618) and 37th in total (51,807).
- Mountain West Baseball on Twitter ... Follow your favorite Mountain West baseball teams and catch up on news from around the league on Twitter at @TheMWCOlySports.