Garrett Custons of Air Force Baseball Selected by Toronto Blue Jays in 10th Round of MLB Draft
June 7, 2013
Recent Air Force graduate Garrett Custons was selected by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 10th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft on Friday, June 7. Custons, a catcher/outfielder with Falcon baseball, was the 295th overall pick.
Custons was a four-year letterwinner for the Falcon baseball program. The Sarasota, Fla., native was a first-team All-Mountain West Utility player and one of 15 Johnny Bench Award semifinalists this season. Custons batteed .353 with 22 doubles and 48 runs scored. The senior led the conference with eight pickoffs and was third with 20 runners thrown out attempting to steal.
Custons ranks in the Air Force All-Time Top 10 in over 10 categories and is the school's all-time leader in at bats (827) and doubles (77). He is second all-time at Air Force with 275 career hits, batting .333 for his career with 173 runs scored. As a freshman, Custons earned Freshman All-American honors as he set a Mountain West freshman record with 64 RBIs. He is Air Force's first three-time All-MW honoree.
"Getting selected by the Toronto Blue Jay organization is surreal," Custons said. "I've fulfilled two dreams in the past two weeks; graduating from the Air Force Academy and getting drafted. The Air Force Academy has been extremely supportive and helpful through the whole process. If I get the opportunity to play baseball professionally, it would be a lifetime dream come true. But I know my priority is serving in the Air Force as an officer. I came to the Academy to become an officer and fully plan on serving my country."
Custons is the first Falcon to be drafted since Karl Bolt in 2007. Bolt was a 15th round selection of the Philadelphia Phillies. Custons is the fifth overall Falcon to be drafted.
Air Force Baseball Players Selected in MLB
- 1972, Brad Fulk, Texas, 1st round, 2nd pick overall
- 1975, Jeff Brown, Philadelphia
- 1976, Jeff Brown, Philadelphia
- 2001, Mike Thiessen, Arizona, 42nd round
- 2007, Karl Bolt, Philadelphia, 15th round
- 2013, Garrett Custons, Toronto, 10th round
Falcons That Played Pro Ball
- Mike Thiessen, Lancaster, Adv.-A, Arizona, 2003
- Matt Kaercher, GCL Red Sox, Rookie League, Boston, 2003
- Matt Kaercher, Portland SeaDogs, Class AA, Boston, 2003
- Matt Kaercher, Sarasota Red Sox, Class A, Boston, 2004
- Karl Bolt, GCL Phillies, Rookie League, Philadelphia, 2007
- Karl Bolt, Lakewood BlueClaws, Class A, Philadelphia, 2008