Nevada Falls To UNLV, 80-63
March 2, 2013
RENO, Nev. (AP) - Mike Moser scored 20 points, all in the first half, as UNLV beat Nevada 80-63 on Saturday.
Moser started in place of Anthony Bennett, who was limited by a shoulder injury, to one point in 17 minutes. But Moser nailed his first three 3-pointers in UNLV's first six possessions as the Rebels (22-7, 9-5 Mountain West) cruised to a 21-point halftime lead.
Nevada (12-16, 3-11) got no closer than 11 points in the second half.
The Rebels shot 48 percent from the floor, including 10 of 18 from 3-point range, and had double-digit point totals from all starters, with Bryce Dejean-Jones scoring 17. Moser had four 3-pointers and Dejean-Jones made three.
University of Nevada Men's Basketball
- Nevada is 12-16, 3-11 in the Mountain West after falling 80-63 to UNLV (22-7, 9-5 MW) today.
- UNLV earned three-points in the Governor's series with the victory. On October 8, 2012 Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval announced the launch of the Governor's Series, presented by NV Energy. This historic, new competition establishes a formal head-to-head athletic and academic challenge between longtime rivals -- the UNLV Rebels and the Nevada Wolf Pack. The all-encompassing competition will annually crown one school the winner of the Governor's Series. The score is now tied at 10.5 with three points on the line in the women's basketball game being played in Las Vegas today.
- The Wolf Pack has lost a season-high five in row.
- Malik Story finished with a game-high 24 points. It was the 10th time he posted a game-high this season, 20th time he scored in double figures, 11th time he led the team in scoring and 30th time in his career he topped the Pack in scoring.
- Story scored his 1,400th point in the game and moved past Kurt Snyder (2001-04) into 10th on Nevada's career scoring list with 1,417 points.
- Junior point guard Deonte Burton finished with 18 points in the game. Burton has scored in double figures a career-high 15 games in a row. He has scored in double figures a team-high 24 times and 72 times in his career.
- Burton is 12th in school history with 1,397 career points.
- Kevin Panzer scored 10 points to give the Pack three players in double figures. Panzer has six double figure scoring games on the season with three coming in the last six games.
- Panzer and Jordan Burris each had six rebounds to tie for the team lead. Burris has led the team in rebound eight times which is tied for tops on the team. Panzer has led the team in rebounding six times.
- Burton and Story have started all 95 games of their careers in the Pack backcourt.
- Fourth-year head coach David Carter is 74-55 at Nevada.
- Nevada hosts New Mexico (25-4, 12-2 MW) on Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. The Lobos clinched the Mountain West regular season title with a 53-42 victory over Wyoming today. Wednesday's game will air nationally on CBS Sports Network.