No. 20/20 SDSU-Cal State San Marcos Postgame Notes
Nov. 1, 2012
SAN DIEGO -
Final Score: San Diego State 67, Cal State San Marcos 46
Next Exhibition Game: Monday, Nov. 5, vs. UC San Diego, 7 p.m. PT
* San Diego State won its 19th consecutive exhibition game.
* Tonight's game was sold out (12,414). It marks the first time the Aztecs have sold out an exhibition game in school history.
* The Aztecs' starting five consisted of two seniors (DeShawn Stephens, Chase Tapley), two juniors (Jamaal Franklin, Xavier Thames) and one sophomore (JJ O'Brien). O'Brien is the only player who did not suit up for San Diego State a year ago that was in the starting lineup tonight.
* The Aztecs' first substitution came at the 14:35 mark as senior James Rahon and freshman Winston Shepard entered the game.
* San Diego State opened the second half on a 17-5 run, making six of its first seven field goal attempts after intermission. The Aztec run grew to 24-9 after making nine of its first 10 field goal attempts of the half.
* The Aztecs missed their first six three-point field goal attempts tonight, with Matt Shrigley ending the draught at the 11:57 mark of the first half. San Diego State went 5-for-13 from behind the arc the rest of the game.
* In the first half, 10 San Diego State players saw action, eight scored and nine recorded a rebound. No San Diego State played had more than two field goals in the first half.
* SDSU outscored Cal State San Marcos, 41-20, in the second half, while shooting 66.7 percent (16-for-24).
Chase Tapley (13 points, 3-of-6 3-PT FG's)
* Reached double figures tonight, something he did with regulatory last season... During his junior season, Tapley scored at least 10 points 30 times and has 57 double-figure scoring efforts in his career... That is the highest total among active players.
DeShawn Stephens (10 points, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks)
* Stephens has four double-digit scoring games in his career, all in his first season last year (2011-12)... He scored San Diego State's first basket of the game.
JJ O'Brien (8 points, 5 rebounds)
* Had eight points and five rebounds in his first exhibition game with SDSU.
Jamaal Franklin (7 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists)
* Led the Aztecs in rebounds and assists... Last year, he led SDSU in rebounds a team-high 17 times and assists on six occasions.