Game Day Update for No. 13/15 SDSU vs. New Mexico
Feb. 15, 2012
NEW MEXICO (20-4; 6-2 MW) at [13/15] SAN DIEGO STATE (20-4; 6-2 MW)
BREAKDOWN Category New Mexico San Diego State Overall Record 20-4 20-4 Streak Won 5 Loss 1 Mountain West 6-2/T-1st 6-2/T-1st Top 25 (AP/Coaches) rv/rv 13/15 RPI (entering today) 32 22 Sagarin (entering today) 17 48 Next Game vs. UNLV, Sat. at Air Force, Sat.
* Today's game will tipoff at 7:15 p.m. PT.
* Of the 70 Division I men's basketball games tonight, the New Mexico-San Diego State game is the only one that features a pair of 20-win teams.
* For the second consecutive season, San Diego State forward Tim Shelton has written and performed a song about the Aztec basketball team. A 45-second version of the 3:10 song will played as the intro video prior to the announcement of the San Diego State starting lineup. This year's song, entitled "Aztec Motto" will be played for the fifth consecutive home game today.
* Former San Diego State linebacker and two-time All-American Kirk Morrison is scheduled to lead the SDSU student section in the pregame "I Believe" chant. Morrison was a member of the Aztec Football team from 2001-2004 and last season played for the Buffalo Bills.
* San Diego State postgame interviews will take place on the mezzanine level room of Viejas Arena (credential required). New Mexico postgame interviews will take place outside its locker room in the North Corridor. Quotes will be provided from both postgame media gatherings.
* Saturday's San Diego State-New Mexico game is sold out. The official attendance for the game is 12,414.
* This is the ninth home sellout of the season and the 19th time in the last 27 home games.
* The Aztecs have sold out 13 consecutive games against Mountain West Conference opponents.
* It is the 30th sellout in Viejas Arena history.
* In addition to Morrison, current Washington National and former college baseball player of the year Stephen Strasburg is scheduled to be in attendance tonight. He is having his jersey retired prior to the baseball team's season-opening game against Washington on Friday, Feb. 17.
* Two-time All-American Michael Cage is scheduled to be at tonight's game. Cage, SDSU's all-time leading rebounder, played for the Aztecs during the 1980-81, 1981-82, 1982-83 and 1983-84 seasons.
* Former Aztec and Super Bowl champion Brett Swain is scheduled to be at the game tonight. Swain played wide receiver for the Aztecs from 2004-07, and won an NFL title with Green Bay.
* Former Aztec and current San Diego Padres manager Bud Black will also be at tonight's game.
Streaks At Stake Tonight
* San Diego State has gone 79 consecutive games without suffering consecutive losses.
* San Diego State has won 44 consecutive home games against unranked teams.
* San Diego State has won 21 consecutive home games against the current configuration of the Mountain West Conference.
* San Diego State has won the last 11 games following a loss.
* San Diego State has won 10 consecutive home games (tied for the eighth-longest streak in 91 seasons of Aztec Basketball).
* San Diego State has won nine consecutive games when wearing white uniforms.
* San Diego State has won four straight games against New Mexico.
* San Diego State has won three straight home games against New Mexico.
Highest MBB Winning Percentages,
Since Beginning of 2010-11 Season (entering today)
Rk. School W L Pct.
1. Ohio State 56 7 88.9
2. San Diego State 54 7 88.5
3. Kansas 56 8 87.5
4. Duke 53 9 85.5
Syracuse 53 9 85.5
6. Kentucky 54 10 84.4
7. Brigham Young 53 11 82.8
8. Murray State 47 10 82.5
9. Harvard 44 10 81.5
10. Wichita State 51 12 81.0
Highest Winning Percentage in Football and Men's Basketball, Since Beginning of 2010 Football Season (entering today) Rk. School W L Pct. 1. San Diego State 71 16 81.6 2. Ohio State 62 15 80.5 4. Brigham Young 70 20 77.8 3. Wisconsin 66 20 76.7 6. Syracuse 66 21 75.9 7. Missouri 64 21 75.3 5. Southern Miss. 63 21 75.0 9. Temple 62 21 74.7 8. North Carolina 65 23 73.9 10. Kentucky 65 24 73.0
OTHER SAN DIEGO STATE RANKINGS Category National Rank MBB Winning Percentage, since beginning of 2009-10 season 7th MBB Winning Percentage, since beginning of 2008-09 season 8th
Most Games Since Consecutive Losses (entering today) Rk. School Games 1. Kansas 231 2. Duke 115 3. Temple 100 4. Ohio State 87 5. San Diego State 79 6. North Carolina 59 7. George Mason 48 8. Kentucky 43 9. Michigan 42 10. Syracuse 37