Mountain West Men's Basketball Weekly Release - Feb. 27, 2012
Feb. 27, 2012
|Got a question for the Mountain West? Send it to Mick@TheMWC.com.|
With two games left to play, five Mountain West teams have a shot at claiming at least a piece of the regular-season crown. Tri-leaders UNLV, New Mexico and San Diego State hold the edge, sitting atop the standings with identical 8-4 marks, while TCU (7-5) and Colorado State (6-6) lurk in the shadows.
- The Mountain West remains fifth in the latest conference RPI rankings, ahead of the ACC, Atlantic 10, Missouri Valley, Conference USA and Pac-12.
- Four Mountain West teams are ranked in the top-34 of the Feb. 27 NCAA RPI report. UNLV leads the league with a No. 11 listing, followed by Colorado State at No. 27, San Diego State at No. 28 and New Mexico at No. 34.
- The MW is one of five conferences to have at least four teams in the top-34 of the RPI, trailing only the Big East and Big Ten, who have five teams apiece, and tying with the Big 12 and SEC. Overall, no Mountain West team is ranked lower than 166. The Mountain West and Big Ten are the only two conferences to have each of its teams with RPI rankings of 166 or better.
- UNLV and San Diego State are ranked in both top-25 polls for the 11th consecutive week. The Runnin' Rebels moved up to No. 17 in both the Associated Press and USA Today/ESPN Coaches rankings, while the Aztecs are listed at No. 21 and 23 in the AP and Coaches polls, respectively. New Mexico fell out of both polls following losses at Colorado State and TCU but is the fourth-highest team listed among those receiving votes.
- The Mountain West is one of five conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten) to have at least two teams currently ranked in the top-25 of both polls. The 2011-12 campaign marks the third straight season the Mountain West had three teams ranked in the top-25 polls at the same time at some point during the season.
- Since the start of the 2010-11 season, San Diego State is tied with Syracuse for the nation's fourth-best win percentage (.862) and number of wins (56).
- UNLV and Colorado State are ranked in the nation's top-25 for longest active home win streaks. The Runnin' Rebels have won 15 straight games at the Thomas and Mack Center, and are ranked 11th, while the Rams have a 12-game win streak at Moby Arena and are tied for 14th with Middle Tennessee and Savannah State.
- In 2011-12, the Mountain West is 11-3 against the Pac-12, with the MW's top three teams (New Mexico, San Diego State, UNLV) combining for an 8-0 mark, including Aztec and Runnin' Rebel wins over current Pac-12 co-leader California. Over the last three seasons, the MW owns a mark of 20-12 against the Pac-12. During that three-year span, the MW has not only left the Pac-12 in its wake, it has also gone 28-8 against the Western Athletic Conference; 19-7 vs. the West Coast Conference; 20-4 against the Big West Conference; and 25-7 vs. teams from the Big Sky Conference.
- Fans from around the Mountain West can have their men's basketball questions answered by MW Senior Writer Mick McGrane in McGrane's Mailbag. Questions can be submitted several ways - by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), through Twitter (@MWCMick), or by comment on McGrane's Take, the MW official blog on TheMWC.com
- The 2011-12 MW men's basketball schedule features a minimum of 80 telecasts available on a national basis. All 56 Conference regular-season match-ups and all eight MW Championship contests are included in the television broadcasts. MW fans have the opportunity to watch men's basketball games on the league's family of networks - The Mtn. (DirecTV 616), CBS Sports Network (DirecTV 613) and NBC Sports Network (DirecTV 603).
|Coming Up in Mountain West Men's Basketball|
|TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 28|
|*TCU at WYOMING||7:30 p.m. MT||The Mtn.|
|WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 29|
|*AIR FORCE at NEW MEXICO||6 p.m. MT||The Mtn.|
|*No. 23/21 SAN DIEGO STATE at BOISE STATE||8 p.m. MT||The Mtn./4SD|
|*No. 17/17 UNLV at COLORADO STATE||8:15 p.m. MT||CBSSN|
|SATURDAY, MARCH 3|
|*BOISE STATE at NEW MEXICO||2 p.m. MT||NBCSN|
|*COLORADO STATE at AIR FORCE||2 p.m. MT||The Mtn.|
|*No. 23/21 SAN DIEGO STATE at TCU||6 p.m. CT||The Mtn./4SD|
|*WYOMING at No. 17/17 UNLV||7 p.m. PT||The Mtn.|
|* - Mountain West game.|
|CAPS denotes Mountain West team.|
|The Mtn. - The MountainWest Sports Network||DirecTV 616|
|CBSSN - CBS Sports Network||DirecTV 613|
|NBCSN - NBC Sports Network||DirecTV 603|
|Rankings listed according to Associated Press / USA Today Coaches' Top-25 polls.|
|All dates and times subject to change.|
|Live stats available for most games.|