No. 21/23 SDSU Looks To Clinch Second Straight MW Title in Fort Worth
* San Diego State, the defending Mountain West co-regular-season champions and two-time defending league tournament champions, looks to clinch its second consecutive conference title and the No. 1 seed in next week's MW tournament on Saturday at TCU. The task will not be easy, as the Horned Frogs are 13-2 at home this season, including a perfect 6-0 in league play at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.
* The Aztecs are looking to claim the program's 18th regular-season conference title, fifth of the Division I era and third under head coach Steve Fisher. SDSU's Division I era league championships occurred in 1976-77 (PCAA), 1977-78 (PCAA), 2005-06 (Mountain West), and 2010-11 (Mountain West). The Aztecs went 27 seasons without a regular-season title (1978-79 through 2004-05) before claiming the 2005-06 MW crown. Now, San Diego State is looking to claim its third title in seven years.
* Looking at the conference regular-season championship and tournament championship collectively, San Diego State's impact in men's basketball is demonstrated. Since 2006, there have been 12 men's basketball championships (six regular season, six postseason) and SDSU has claimed five of those titles. A victory on Saturday would mean the Aztecs will have claimed six of the last 13 trophies awarded by the league in the sport.
* Despite losing four starters off last season's team and not being selected to make the NCAA Tournament field by any preseason magazine, San Diego State has already posted its seventh consecutive 20-win campaign. SDSU needs two more wins to record a school-record fourth-straight 25-win season. National Coach of the Year candidate Steve Fisher has guided SDSU to the brink of another league title and NCAA appearance despite not being picked higher than third in any preseason publication.
* Sophomore Jamaal Franklin continues to make his case for conference player of the year. The guard is playing the best basketball of his career, scoring in double figures in his last 16 games and recording double-doubles in 10 of his last 15 games. In his last two games he has 49 points, 28 rebounds, four assists, while connecting on 13-of-24 FGA (54.2 pct.) and 20-of-22 FTA (90.9 pct.).
The TCU Game * San Diego State travels to Fort Worth, Texas, to face TCU for the 17th time in the history of the series. The Aztecs own a 12-4 record vs. the Horned Frogs in the 16 previous meetings.
* The Aztecs carry a seven-game winning streak over TCU into the Mountain West regular-season finale.
* SDSU has been on the losing side just once since TCU joined the Mountain West in 2005-06. The Frogs defeated the Aztecs in Fort Worth back on Feb. 9, 2008.
* SDSU is looking to close the regular season with a victory for the fourth consecutive year and for the sixth time in the last seven seasons.
San Diego State looks to clinch its second straight MW regular-season title on Saturday at TCU.