Top-Seeded SDSU Looks For Third Straight MW Tournament Title
* No. 18/21 San Diego State, the two-time defending Mountain West tournament champions, won its second consecutive regular-season title last week and, as a result, earned the No. 1 seed for the 2012 Conoco Mountain West Conference Championship. The Aztecs will face Boise State at noon PT on Thursday in the quarterfinal round of the tourney in Las Vegas.
* SDSU clinched the regular-season title with a 98-92 overtime victory at TCU on Saturday. This marks the second consecutive regular-season title for the Aztecs and the third in the last seven seasons. This is the fifth title in the Division I era and the 18th in school history. This year, the Aztecs shared the regular-season title with New Mexico, but earned the top seed on the basis of a season sweep of TCU.
* For the first time in the 13-year history of the Mountain West Conference, a team has won four straight men's basketball titles (counts regular-season and tournaments). San Diego State claimed the 2010 tournament title, earned a co-championship with Brigham Young in 2010-11, before repeating as the tournament champion in 2011, and claiming the 2011-12 regular season title. SDSU joins Kansas and Ohio State as the only teams to win regular-season titles in 2010-11 and 2011-12 and conference tournament championships in 2010 and 2011.
* Despite losing four starters off last season's team and not being selected to make the NCAA Tournament field by any preseason magazine, San Diego State has already posted its seventh consecutive 20-win campaign. SDSU needs one more win to record a school-record fourth-straight 25-win season. National Coach of the Year candidate and MW Coach of the Year Steve Fisher has the Aztecs on the verge of a third straight NCAA appearance despite not being picked to finish higher than third place in the MW by any preseason publication.
* Sophomore and MW Player of the Year Jamaal Franklin continues to make his case for conference player of the year. The guard is playing the best basketball of his career, scoring in double figures in his last 17 games and recording double-doubles in 11 of his last 16 games. In his last three games he has 84 points, 41 rebounds and nine assists, while connecting on 22-of-42 FGA (52.4 pct.) and 34-of-39 FTA (87.2 pct.).
Boise State Game
* San Diego State and Boise State are meeting for the third time this year after meeting just once in 90 previous seasons of Aztec Basketball.
* The Aztecs have won all three match-ups in series history, including a sweep of the season series this year.
* The two squads are very familiar with each other having played last Wednesday in Boise, which ended in a 13-point San Diego State victory.
* SDSU is in search of its 25th win of the season. A victory over the Broncos would give the Aztecs four consecutive seasons of at least 25 wins. San Diego State won 26 games in 2009, 25 in 2010 and a school-record 34 in 2012.
Top-seeded San Diego State will face the No. 8 seed, Boise State, Thursday at noon in Las Vegas.