SDSU Men's Hoops MW Championship Update
March 10, 2012
LAS VEGAS -
BREAKDOWN Category San Diego State New Mexico Overall Record 26-6 26-6 Streak Won 5 Won 4 Mountain West 10-4/T-1st 10-4/1st Top 25 (AP/Coaches) 18/21 --/-- RPI (entering today) 23 31 Sagarin (entering today) 46 17 Next Game TBD TBDGameday Tidbits
* Today's game will tipoff at 4:05 p.m. PT.
* Once again today, the media relations office will tweet in-game notes to the AztecsPR account. If you are interested in receiving this, please send a follow request. This is for media use only.
* San Diego State will make postgame sound available from San Diego State men's and women's tournament. An e-mail was sent out earlier today with details on how download the postgame videos. If you have questions, contact a member of the media relations office.
Fourth Straight Appearance In Final
* San Diego State has advanced to a league-record fourth consecutive Mountain West tournament championship game.
* San Diego State is looking for its conference-record third consecutive MW tournament championship.
* San Diego State has won a league-best four MW postseason tournaments.
Aztecs Look For Fifth Straight MW Title
* The last four times the Mountain West Conference has presented championship trophies, San Diego State has receieved one. SDSU won the 2010 tourney championship, 2010-11 regular season (co-title with Brigham Young), 2011 tourney championship and 2011-12 regular season (co-title with New Mexico).
* It is the first time in the history of the conference that a team has won four straight championships.
* In addition to San Diego State, only Kansas and Ohio State entered their conference tournaments having won their two most recent regular-season titles and their two most recent conference tournament titles.
* With Kansas losing yesterday in the Big 12 tournament, only San Diego State and Ohio State have an opportunity to extend their streak.
Please Keep Us In Mind
* As you fill out your all-tournament ballot, please keep these San Diego State players in mind.
* Sophomore Jamaal Franklin is averaging a team-high 19.0 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.0 assists. He has connected on 5-of-7 three-point field goals and is 11-of-15 from the line (73.3 percent).
* Junior Chase Tapley is averaging 18.5 points, a team-high 5.0 assists, 3.0 steals and 2.5 rebounds. He is shooting 53.8 percent from the field, including 5-of-10 from three-point range.
* Sophomore Xavier Thames is averaging 10.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 2.0 steals. He is 3-for-5 from three-point range and 6-for-6 from the free-throw line.
* Junior James Rahon is averaging 9.0 points and 2.5 rebounds. The sharp-shooter is 8-for-16 from the field.
Streaks At Stake Saturday
* San Diego State has won its last 14 games against Mountain West Conference competition in the month of March.
* San Diego State has won a Mountain West Conference-record eight consecutive tournament games.
* SDSU enters today with an 9-1 record in its last 10 games inside Thomas & Mack Center.
* San Diego State is 10-1 in its last 11 neutral-site games.
Highest MBB Winning Percentages, Since Beginning of 2010-11 Season (entering today) Rk. School W L Pct. 1. Kansas 62 9 87.3 2. Ohio State 60 9 87.0 3. San Diego State 60 9 87.0 5. Kentucky 60 10 85.7 6. Duke 59 10 85.5 4. Syracuse 58 10 85.3 7. Murray State 53 10 84.1 8. Belmont 57 12 82.6 North Carolina 57 12 82.6 10. Harvard 49 11 81.7
Highest Winning Percentage in Football and Men's Basketball, Since Beginning of 2010 Football Season (entering today) Rk. School W L Pct. 1. San Diego State 77 18 81.1 2. Ohio State 66 17 79.5 3. Brigham Young 74 22 77.1 4. Syracuse 71 22 76.3 Wisconsin 71 22 76.3 6. North Carolina 72 23 75.8 7. Missouri 70 23 75.3 8. Kentucky 71 24 74.7 9. Temple 67 23 74.4 10. Southern Miss. 67 25 72.8
OTHER SAN DIEGO STATE RANKINGS Category National Rank MBB Winning Percentage, since beginning of 2009-10 season 7th MBB Winning Percentage, since beginning of 2008-09 season T-7th
Programs That Have Won Regular-Season Conference Titles in 2011 and 2012 & League Tourney Titles in 2010 and 2011
San Diego State
Programs That Have Won At Least 25 Games The Last Four Seasons (Including This Season)
San Diego State
Note: No other team can join this list today.