Mountain West Sends Two Additional Teams to Postseason Tournaments
March 18, 2013
2013 CollegeInsider.com Tournament
Mountain West on Twitter: @TheMWC | @MW_MHoops | Hashtag: #MWBB
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Two Mountain West teams - Air Force and Wyoming - will take part in the 2013 College Basketball Invitational (CBI) and the 2013 CollegeInsider.com Tournament (CIT), respectively.
Wyoming (19-13) is headed to the CBI for the second straight year. The Cowboys will face Lehigh on Tuesday at 7 p.m. MT in Wyoming's Arena-Auditorium. Air Force (17-13) will play in its second CIT in the last three years and faces Hawai'i on Wednesday at 7 p.m. HT at the Stan Sheriff Center in Honolulu, Hawaii.
With a league-record five teams in the NCAA tournament, a Conference-high seven of the nine MW squads have received postseason bids in 2012-13. The MW sent six teams into postseason action in 2001-02, 2002-03, 2008-09, 2010-11 and 2011-12. Boise State, Colorado State, San Diego State and UNLV received at-large bids into the 2013 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship, joining Mountain West tournament and regular season champion and automatic qualifier New Mexico in the 68-team field.
The CBI presented by Buick is a 16-team, single-elimination tournament up until the best-of-three Championship Series, with all games played at campus sites. After opening-round games, the quarterfinal round will take place on Monday, March 25, followed by the semifinals on Wednesday, March 27. Prior to the semifinals, the remaining teams will be re-bracketed. The championship is a best-of-three series in which one team will host two of the three games. Those games will be played on April 1, 3 and 5.
The fifth-annual CIT is a 32-team, single-elimination tournament. Opening-round games are scheduled for March 19-20. Second-round games will be played March 22-24, with the quarterfinal round slated for March 26-27. The semifinals takes place March 29-30 with the championship game on April 2.
- This will be Wyoming's first meeting with Lehigh.
- The MW is 1-0 against Patriot League opponents this year, as Air Force defeated Army 76-65.
- Wyoming is making its third appearance - second straight - in the CBI.
- The winner of the Lehigh-Wyoming contest will take on the winner of North Dakota State-Western Michigan on Monday, March 25.
- Air Force is 13-24 all-time against Hawai'i.
- This is Air Force's second appearance in the CIT in the last three years and seventh postseason appearance in the 57-year history of the program.
- The MW is 14-4 against Big West opponents this year. Air Force (1-0), Boise State (1-0), Fresno State (4-2), Nevada (3-2), San Diego State (1-0), UNLV (2-0) and Wyoming (2-0) all had winning records against Big West competition.