SDSU-Washington Postgame Notes
Sept. 1, 2012
* SDSU is now 46-39-5 in season-opening games, including a 21-22-1 record in the Division I era.
* San Diego State lost its opening game of the season for the first time since 2009.
* SDSU had multiple turnovers for just the second time over the last nine games. The Aztecs had one turnover total over their final three games last season.
* The Aztecs have now scored a touchdown in 65 consecutive games.
* The seven points allowed by the Aztecs in the third quarter were the most they have allowed in a third quarter since giving up seven to Washington State on Nov. 7, 2009. The last time SDSU gave up more than seven points in the third quarter was Nov. 7, 2009 vs. No. 6 TCU, when it gave up 14.
* The Aztecs were 2-for-3 on fourth down conversions. Last year they were 9-for-23.
* San Diego State dropped to 0-3 all-time against Washington. The Aztecs lost to the Huskies, 46-25, on Oct. 2, 1982 and 36-3 on Sept. 13, 1997, before today's 21-12 loss.
* San Diego State traveled 67 players to today's games, only 15 of whom are seniors. In fact, that is the smallest class size represented on the trip (19 juniors, 17 sophomores, 16 freshmen, 15 seniors). Of the 16 freshmen, four are true freshmen (Alex Barrett, Dan Kottman, Seamus McMorrow and Jeff Overbaugh),
Ryan Katz, Sr., QB (10-for-19, 128 yds., TD, INT)
* Became just the fourth Aztec to start at quarterback since Nov. 18, 2006. During the 65 games in between, Kevin O'Connell (15 games during the 2006-07 seasons), Drew Westling (one game vs. Air Force on Oct. 11, 2008) and Ryan Lindley (49 games during the 2008-09-10-11 season) earned starts at quarterback.
* Threw his first touchdown pass as an Aztec on a 47-yard completion to Tim Vizzi in the second quarter.
* Had a career-high 77 rushing yards. His previous high was 22 as a member of Oregon State on Sept. 3, 2011 against Sacramento State.
* Also had a 29-yard punt, the first of his career. It landed at the Washington 8-yard line.
Walter Kazee, Sr., RB (9 att., 86 yds.)
* Finished with 86 rushing yards, his most since the final game of his freshman season (Nov. 28, 2009 at UNLV), when he had 112 yards.
* Gained 18 yards on his first carry since the Colorado State game last season (Nov. 12, 2011).
Colin Lockett, Jr., WR (4 rec., 48 yds.)
* Had four catches for 48 yards. He now has at least three receptions in all 14 career games he has played at wide receiver.
Adam Muema, So., RB (11 att., 32 yds., TD)
* Had his fourth career rushing touchdown and fifth overall.
* Aztecs making their first career starts tonight included: Zach Dilley (OL), Japheth Gordon (OL) and Ezell Ruffin (WR) on offense, Sam Meredith (DT), Dontrell Onuoha (DL), Rene Siluano (WAR) and Nick Tenhaeff (LB) on defense.
* Aztecs playing their first career games tonight included: Joel Alesi (P), Zach Dilley (OL), Wes Feer (K), Scott Graves (LB), Darius Guillory (DB), David Lamar (DB), Derek Largent (LB), Jeff Overbaugh (LS), Chase Price (RB), Pierre Romain (DB), Ezell Ruffin (WR), Jon Sanchez (DL), Stan Sedberry (DB) and Brandon Wright (DB). Brice Butler (WR) and Ryan Katz (QB) each had their first start as an Aztec after playing previously at USC and Oregon State, respectively.
* Vaness Harris and Derek Largent each picked up their first career sack, while Cody Galea got his second. Harris also had a career-high five tackles.
* Rene Siluano forced his second career fumble.
* Nat Berhe recovered his second career fumble.
* Dominique Sandifer has his first reception since Dec. 23, 2010 vs. Navy in the Poinsettia Bowl.
* Leon McFadden had a career-high eight tackles.