Lobo Football Team Tryout Information
Aug. 1, 2012
The University of New Mexico football team will hold a preseason tryout for UNM students interested in joining the program. The team will hold a meeting for prospective players during the Wednesday of first week of the fall semester and an on-field workout one week later.
Three former Lobo walk-ons, fullback Jarrod Baxter (1998-2001), center Ryan Cook (2001-05) and deep snapper Joe Maese (1999-2000) played their way into NFL careers. Cook also was a three-time first-team All-Mountain West honoree from 2003-2005.
Several other former walk-ons have gone on to have distinguished Lobo careers:
- Brian Johnson (1997-2001) was a two-time first-team All-Mountain West defensive end and a team captain.
- Linebacker Mohammed Konte (2001) was a second-team all-conference honoree and a team captain.
- Quarterback Casey Kelly (1999-2003) is the winningest quarterback in Lobo history and was a team captain.
- Linebacker Mike Mohoric (2001-05) was a first-team all-conference selection and a team captain.
- Kickers Wes Zunker (2001-04), Kenny Byrd (2002-06), John Sullivan (2006-07) and James Aho (2008-11) each earned first-team All-Mountain West selections; Sullivan was a consensus All-American in 2007.
Six current Lobos on scholarship started off as walk-ons, and five players who tried out for the team in February completed spring drills with the team in April.
The meeting for potential walk-ons is scheduled Aug. 22 with a tentative 5 p.m. start time on the second floor of the Tow Diehm Complex (on the south end of University Stadium). The tryout itself takes place Aug. 29 at 5:30 p.m. Players should report to the Tow Diehm Complex then, as well.
For more information about the Lobo Football Walk-On Program, contact the Lobo Football Office at 505-925-5700 or click here to go online at golobos.com.