Lobo Football Team Tryout Information
Aug. 15, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The University of New Mexico football team will hold a preseason tryout for UNM students interested in joining the program. The team will hold a mandatory meeting for prospective players on Wednesday, Aug. 22 at 7 a.m. It will take place on the second floor of the Tow Diehm Complex (on the south end of University Stadium). The interested players will then report back at 3:30 p.m. to fill out the necessary paperwork before attending the team's practice an hour later at 4:30.
At 6 p.m. they will tryout with the Lobo coaching staff. Activities will include a dynamic stretch, drill work, and position work. The coaches will convene after the tryout and let the players know the results of their workout.
Three former Lobo walk-ons, fullback Jarrod Baxter (1998-2001), center Ryan Cook (2001-05) and deep snapper Joe Maese (1999-2000) played their way into NFL careers. Cook also was a three-time first-team All-Mountain West honoree from 2003-2005.
Several other former walk-ons have gone on to have distinguished Lobo careers:
- Brian Johnson (1997-2001) was a two-time first-team All-Mountain West defensive end and a team captain.
- Linebacker Mohammed Konte (2001) was a second-team all-conference honoree and a team captain.
- Quarterback Casey Kelly (1999-2003) is the winningest quarterback in Lobo history and was a team captain.
- Linebacker Mike Mohoric (2001-05) was a first-team all-conference selection and a team captain.
- Kickers Wes Zunker (2001-04), Kenny Byrd (2002-06), John Sullivan (2006-07) and James Aho (2008-11) each earned first-team All-Mountain West selections; Sullivan was a consensus All-American in 2007.
For more information about the Lobo Football Walk-On Program, contact the Lobo Football Office at 505-925-5700 or click here to go online at golobos.com.