Falcons Fall to 38th-ranked Boise State in Spring Opener
Jan. 19, 2013
The Air Force men’s tennis team opened its 2013 spring campaign Saturday night with a 5-2 loss to 38th-ranked Boise State in Boise, Idaho. The match was also the Mountain West opener for each team.
Boise State jumped out to an early 1-0 lead with wins at the top two doubles spots. The Falcons took the No. 3 match as junior Ali Rizvi and sophomore Landon Kinsey captured an 8-7(4) victory over Aidan Reid and Andy Bettles.
Air Force won two of the six singles matches, including a 7-5, 6-3 victory at the No. 1 position by senior Lance Wilhelm over Bettles, who is ranked 28th in the country. Junior Andy Jackson also won for Air Force, rallying to defeat Brian Foley, 6-7 (5), 6-3, 10-7 at the No. 6 spot. Boise State had already clinched the team match when those two matches came off the court with straight-set wins at the No. 2-5 spots.
The Falcons will play the University of Montana in Boise on Sunday, Jan. 20 beginning at 10 a.m.
No. 38 Boise State 5, Air Force 2
Saturday, Jan. 19
1. Garrett Patton / Scott Sears (BSU) def. Grant Taylor / Lance Wilhelm, 8-2
2. Toby Mitchell / Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Alex Grubbs / Andy Jackson, 8-4
3. Landon Kinsey / Ali Rizvi (AF) def. Aidan Reid / Andy Bettles, 8-7 (7-4)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. #28 Andy Bettles, 7-5, 6-3
2. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Landon Kinsey, 6-2, 6-1
3. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Alex Grubbs, 6-3, 6-4
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Grant Taylor, 6-1, 6-2
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Steven Young, 6-0, 6-0
6. Andy Jackson (AF) def. Brian Foley, 6-7 (5), 6-3, 10-7
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 2, 3, 1, 6