Falcons Defeat Montana State, 6-1
Jan. 26, 2013
The Air Force men's tennis team won its second consecutive match Saturday with a 6-1 victory over the Montana State Saturday in AFA's home opener. The Falcons swept the three doubles matches and won five of the six singles contests, four in straight sets.
The Falcons (2-1) rolled through all three doubles matches, including a domination 8-1 victory by junior Alex Grubbs and freshman Jack McCullers at the No. 2 spot over Javier Martin-Morillas and Prithiv Sivasubramaniam. AFA's No. 1 team of senior Lance Wilhelm and sophomore Grant Taylor, the eighth-ranked doubles team in the Mountain Region, followed suit with an 8-2 triumph over Niklas Brandes and Diego Campos. Juniors Steven Young and Andy Jackson completed he weep with an 8-3 win over Markus Schleuter and Kenny Dodd at No. 3.
MSU (1-1) evened the match at 1-all as Schleuter downed sophomore Landon Kinsey, 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 2 spot. The Falcons took over from there, winning the next three matches for the victory. Wilhelm improved to 3-0 at the No. 1 spot with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Brandes, Taylor won the No. 3 match 6-3, 6-4 over Campos and Young clinched it with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Sivasubramaniam at No. 5.
Grubbs kept the momentum going for Air Force, grinding out a 5-7, 6-2, 6-4 victory over Martin-Morillas at No. 4 and Jackson improved to 3-0 at the No. 6 spot by defeating Dodd, 6-4, 6-2.
"I liked how our team responded to last week's struggles in doubles," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. "We came out very aggressive and played doubles exactly the way I want our teams to play. This set the tone for the match and with the exception of #2 singles, we did the right things on each court to get the victory."
The Falcons host Seattle University on Sunday, Jan. 27 beginning at 9 a.m.
Air Force 6, Montana State 1
Saturday, Jan. 26
1. Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Brandes / Campos, 8-2
2. Grubbs / Jack McCullers (AF) def. Martin-Morillas / Sivasubramaniam, 8-1
3. Young / Jackson (AF) def. Dodd / Schlueter, 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Lance Wihelm (AF) def. Niklas Brandes, 6-3, 6-3
2. Markus Schlueter (MSU) def. Landon Kinsey, 6-0, 6-0
3. Grant Taylor (AF) def. Diego Campos, 6-3, 6-4
4. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Javier Martin-Morillas, 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
5. Steven Young (AF) def. Prithiv Sivasubramaniam, 6-0, 6-1
6. Andy Jackson (AF) def. Kenny Dodd, 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 5, 4, 6