No. 74 Men's Tennis Edges No. 47 UC Irvine, 4-3
Feb. 3, 2012
SAN DIEGO - The No. 74 San Diego State men's tennis team rallied after losing the doubles point to edge No. 47 UC Irvine, 4-3, on Friday afternoon at Anteater Tennis Center. With the win, SDSU improved to 3-0 on the year and UCI dropped to 1-4 this season.
Despite an early 0-1 deficit, SDSU battled with the Anteaters down the stretch in singles play. Juan Florez was the first to pick up a victory as he posted a 6-4, 6-0 win against Ryan Cheung at No. 3. Then after UCI wins at No. 1 and 4, Andranik Khachatryan and Jose Sierra Short each notched identical 6-3, 6-1 wins to move SDSU within a point of the victory.
Derek Siddiqui and Sam Gould would then go into a hard-fought battle to finish out the match. Siddiqui won the first set, 7-5, but Gould came back with a 6-3 second set victory. In the third set, the lead went back and forth before Gould tied it up at 6-6 to force a set tiebreaker. Siddiqui eventually closed it out as Gould's overhand volley went wide giving SDSU the decisive point on Siddiqui's 8-6 tiebreaker win.
Up next for the Aztecs is a trip to Los Angeles on Feb. 9 as they face off against No. 9 UCLA. The match is set for a 2 p.m. PT start at Los Angeles Tennis Center.
No. 74 San Diego State 4, No. 47 UC Irvine 3
Friday, Feb. 3, 2012
Anteater Tennis Stadium
1. Ryan Cheung/Fabian Matthews (UCI) def. Javier Pulgar / Hunter Nicholas (SDSU), 8-2
2. Sam Gould/Jon Kazarian (UCI) def. Thorsten Bertsch / Derek Siddiqui (SDSU), 8-2
3. Rickey Baylon / Spencer Simon (SDSU) def. Mika DeCoster/Jacob Jung (UCI), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Fabian Matthews (UCI) def. Javier Pulgar (SDSU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) def. Sam Gould (UCI), 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Juan Florez (SDSU) def. Ryan Cheung (UCI), 6-4, 6-0
4. Jacob Jung (UCI) def. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Andranik Khachatryan (SDSU) def. Jon Kazarian (UCI), 6-3, 6-1
6. Jose Sierra Short (SDSU) def. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI), 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 1, 4, 5, 6, 2