'Dogs Fall 6-1 To No. 22 Auburn
Feb. 10, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team fell 6-1 Sunday afternoon to SEC opponent and nationally-ranked Auburn at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
The No. 22 Tigers notched the first point of the match by winning two of the three doubles matches. On court two, Sam MacNeil and Jeremy Quiroz fell 8-2 to Lopasso and Lengsfeld. The #2 ranked duo of Daniel Cochrane and Andreas Mies clinched the point winning 8-4 at No. 1. On court three, Fresno State's duo of Felipe Fritz and Sai Kartik Nakireddi were leading 7-6 before play was suspended.
In singles, Auburn won three straight matches to secure the match. Play continued after the overall match had been clinched.
Freshman Felipe Fritz battled back at No. 5 after dropping the first set to win in a third set tiebreaker, 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7), and recorded the 'Dogs only point of the match.
The Bulldogs now have two straight weeks of practice before their next match. The team will continue play at home on Feb. 23 when they play host to Pacific at 2 p.m. Fresno State will bounce back the next day to take on Sacramento State at noon.
#22 Auburn 6, Fresno State 1
1. #74 Andreas Mies (AU) def. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) 6-2, 6-3
2. Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
3. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-0, 6-2
4. Lucas Lopasso (AU) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-0, 6-2
5. Felipe Fritz (FS) def. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Michael Wardell (AU) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 6-4, 6-3
1. #2 Daniel Cochrane/Andreas Mies (AU) def. Reid deLaubenfels/Nikolas Papic (FS) 8-4
2. Dennis Lengsfeld/Lucas Lopasso (AU) def. Sam MacNeil/Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 8-2
3. Felipe Fritz/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Lukas Ollert/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 7-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,4,1,5,6,2)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Check on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all of the Men's and Women's Bulldog home tennis matches.