Falcons Down UMBC and Northern Colorado on Sunday
Feb. 10, 2013
The Air Force men's tennis team snapped a three-match losing streak with a pair of victories at the Academy Sunday, defeating UMBC 7-0 and Northern Colorado 6-1. With the two wins, Air Force improved to 5-4 this season.
Air Force won two doubles matches against UMBC, runner-up in the American East conference last season, and swept the three doubles contests against UNC. Lance Wilhelm and Grant Taylor won both at the No. 1 position and are 6-3 this spring. Junior Alex Grubbs and freshman Jack McCullers each won twice in doubles as well.
In singles, Wilhelm downed Justin Carter of UMBC, 6-3, 6-0, to improve to 7-1 at the top spot, then sat out the UNC match. Grubbs, junior Steven Young, sophomore Landon Kinsey and freshman Andrew Parks each won two singles matches on Sunday, all in straight sets.
"We had lots of bright spots today," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. "It was great to see Landon Kinsey get back in the singles lineup and clinch both wins for us, the first time he's done that in his career. Another highlight was Andrew Parks getting his first college start and going 3-0 on the day. After three tough losses in a row to Utah, BYU, and Denver, it was nice to see the whole team bounce back with solid performances on every court. "
The Falcons travel to Kansas City to face UMKC on Saturday, Feb. 16 at 4 p.m.
Air Force 7, UMBC 0
Sunday, Feb. 10
1. Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Carter / Berret, 8-2
2. Grubbs / Jack McCullers (AF) def. Svard / Loubatie, 8-1
3. Gray / Drean (UMBC) def. Young / Jackson, 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Justin Carter, 6-3, 6-0
2. Grant Taylor (AF) def. Melker Svard, 6-2, 6-3
3. Landon Kinsey (AF) def. Gaulthier Berret, 6-4, 7-5
4. Steven Young (AF) def. Alex Drean, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Daniel Gray, 6-3, 6-1
6. Andrew Parks (AF) def. Kamal Patel, 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 5, 4, 6
Air Force 6, Northern Colorado 1
Sunday, Feb. 10
1. Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Lupo / Gendron, 8-5
2. McCullers / Andy Jackson (AF) def. Loughnan / Knight, 8-4
3. Parks / Grubbs (AF) def. Schuermans / Moya, 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Brandon Lupo (UNC) def. Grant Taylor (AF) 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Landon Kinsey (AF) def. Ben Gendron (UNC) 7-6, 6-4
3. Steven Young (AF) def. Mitchel Knight (UNC) 7-5, 6-3
4. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Jordan Loughnan (UNC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Andrew Parks (AF) def. Michael Moya (UNC) 7-6, 6-4
6. Jack McCullers (AF) def. Eric Schuermans (UNC) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 6, 5