Falcons Rout Northern Arizona, 6-1
Feb. 12, 2012
The Air Force men's tennis team won its second straight match of the weekend, defeating Northern Arizona, 6-1, Sunday at the Academy. The Falcons improved to 5-1 while the Lumberjacks fell to 2-3.
The Falcons jumped out to an early 1-0 lead with wins at all three doubles spots. Sophomores Andy Jackson and Alex Grubbs started things off with an 8-1 victory over Dominic Bermudez and Robert Martin. Junior Lance Wilhelm and freshman Grant Taylor won the No. 1 match, 8-3, over Robin Pezzuto and Shaun Waters, while sophomore Ali Rizvi and freshman Joey Brandt won at No. 3, 8-6, over Patrick Schimmelbauer and Ben Lantz.
In singles play, Jackson (No. 2), Wilhelm (No. 1) and Grubbs (No. 3) each won in straight sets to give the Falcons the team match. Waters won NAU's lone match with a 6-2, 1-6, 6-3 victory over Alex Linberry, but sophomore Steven Young rallied to win at No. 5, 4-6, 7-6(4), 10-8 over Martin at No. 5 and Rizvi downed Lantz, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 6.
"This was the most complete team win we've had in my three years here," said Air Force coach Dan Oosterhous. "NAU has a lot of talent in their lineup and they've beaten us the last two times out so it was great to see the success our guys had today."
The Falcons travel to Dayton, Ohio next weekend for three matches, beginning on Saturday, Feb. 18 against Lipscomb and Ball State.
Air Force 6, Northern Arizona 1
Feb. 12, 2012
1. Wilhelm / Grant Taylor (AF) def. Pezzuto / Waters, 8-3
2. Jackson / Grubbs (AF) def. Bermudez / Martin, 8-1
3. Rizvi / Joey Brandt (AF) def. Schimmelbauer / Lantz, 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Robin Pezzuto, 6-1, 6-4
2. Andy Jackson (AF) def. Dominic Bermudez, 6-0, 6-2
3. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Patrick Schimmelbauer, 6-4, 6-2
4. Shaun Waters (NAU) def. Alex Lineberry, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Steven Young (AF) def. Robert Martin, 4-6, 7-6(4), 10-8
6. Ali Rizvi (AF) def. Ben Lantz, 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 4, 6, 5