Falcons Drop Tough Match to Lipscomb, 4-3
Feb. 18, 2012
The Air Force men's tennis team dropped a hard-fought 4-3 decision to Lipscomb Saturday in Dayton, Ohio. The Falcons, who had won three matches in a row, fell to 5-2 this season.
Air Force won the doubles point with victories at the top two spots. Junior Lance Wilhelm and freshman Grant Taylor won at No. 1, 8-3, over Oliver Strecker and Daniel Hernandez, while sophomores Andy Jackson and Alex Grubbs beat Tanner Brown and Miguel Cortez, 8-5, at the No. 2 position.
The Bison rallied and won four of the six singles matches. Wilhelm won at No. 1, downing Strecker, 6-4, 6-4, and Grubbs won the No. 4 match when Brown retired with Grubbs leading 5-2 in the first set. Lipscomb won the Nos. 2, 3 and 6 matches in straight sets, then clinched the team match when Stuart Tierney rallied to beat sophomore Alex Lineberry, 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 5 spot.
Saturday night, the Falcons played singles against Ball State and lost 5 of the six matches. The two teams will play the three doubles matches Sunday morning, then Air Force will take on service-academy rival Army later in the day.
Lipscomb 4, Air Force 3
Feb. 18, 2012
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Oliver Strecker, 6-4, 6-4
2. David Salazar (LU) def. Andy Jackson, 6-2, 6-1
3. Daniel Hernandez (LU) def. Landon Kinsey 7-5, 6-4
4. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Tanner Brown, 5-2, ret.
5. Stuart Tierney (LU) def. Alex Lineberry, 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
6. Colby Shaw (LU) def. Ali Rizvi, 6-2, 6-1