Men's Tennis Defeats USF To Continue Best Start Since '99
Feb. 18, 2012
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego State men's tennis program continued its best start in 13 seasons on Saturday, with a 5-2 victory over San Francisco at the Aztec Tennis Center on the SDSU campus. With the victory, the 63rd-ranked Aztecs improve to 5-1 on the season, marking the program's best start since the 1999 squad opened 6-0.
Senior Javier Pulgar and sophomore Hunter Nicholas each were victorious in singles and doubles. The pair teamed up at number one doubles, posting an 8-2 victory over the Dons top duo, Schumacher and Knowlman. In singles play, Pulgar dropped just three games, cruising to a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Schumacher at number one singles. Nicholas won a marathon match at number four singles, disposing of Bernardo Saraiva, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 10-7.
Two other Aztecs claimed victories in singles. At number two, junior Derek Siddiqui was a 6-0, 6-2, winner over Germain Bahri, while freshman Freddy Gelbrich recorded a 6-3, 6-0, victory over Jonathan Knowlman at number six singles.
The Aztecs are back in action on Friday when they travel to Los Angeles, to face top-ranked USC.
San Diego State 5, San Francisco 2
Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
1. Nicholas/Pulgar (SDSU) def. Schumacher/Knowlman (USF), 8-2
2. Saraiva/Bucalem (USF) def. Bertsch/Siddiqui (SDSU), 8-5
3. Baylarn/Simon (SDSU) def. Bahri/Hartwig (USF), 8-2
1. Javier Pulgar (SDSU) def. Will Schumacher (USF), 6-1, 6-2
2. Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) def. Germain Bahri (USF), 6-0, 6-2
3. Richard Bucalem (USF) def. Rickey Baylon (SDSU), 3-6, 6-3, 12-10
4. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) def. Bernardo Saraiva (USF), 7-6(4), 4-6, 10-7
5. Jacob Hartwig (USF) def. Juan Florez (SDSU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) def. Jonathan Knowlman (USF), 6-3, 6-0