'Dogs Tame Tigers At Home
Feb. 23, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team tamed the Pacific Tigers 4-3 Saturday afternoon at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. The 'Dogs are now 8-0 all time against the Tigers.
Despite the cool, breezy conditions the Bulldogs were able to pick up the win for their second home win and stopped a five match losing streak.
The 'Dogs started the afternoon off on the right foot as they won two closely contested doubles matches to clinch the doubles point.
At No. 1 sophomore Reid deLaubenfels and junior Sam MacNeil held off a late charging Tiger's squad for the 8-6 win. Freshman Nikolas Papic and junior Jeremy Quiroz followed suit by clinching the doubles point on court three also winning 8-6.
In singles, MacNeil put the 'Dogs ahead 2-0 as he cruised at the sixth spot 6-1, 6-2.
The Tigers rallied back picking up wins on courts two and five to tie the score at 2-2. With the score tied, the final three matches all went to three sets.
Papic bumped the score to 3-2 in favor of the 'Dogs after battling back from dropping the first set, winning a tough second and then dominating in the final on court three, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Sealing the deal for Fresno State was deLaubenfels at No. 1 who dropped the first set but rolled in the final two giving up only two games during those sets for a final score of 6-7(1), 6-0, 6-2.
The Bulldogs are back in action at home tomorrow , Sunday, Feb. 24 at noon as they face Sacramento State.
Fresno State 4, Pacific 3
1. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) def. Alex Golding (PAC) 6-7 (1-7), 6-0, 6-2
2. Sem Verbeek (PAC) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 6-2, 6-3
3. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Ben Mirkin (PAC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) def. Felipe Fritz (FS) 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 6-4
5. Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-3, 6-0
6. Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Trevor James (PAC) 6-1, 6-2
1. Reid deLaubenfels/Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Alex Golding/Sem Verbeek (PAC) 8-6
2. Trevor James/Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/Felipe Fritz (FS) 6-5
3. Jeremy Quiroz/Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Alex Hamilton/Denis Stolyarov (PAC) 8-6
Fresno State 3-7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,5,2,3,1,4)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Check on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all of the Men's and Women's Bulldog home tennis matches.