Falcons Blanked by No. 52 BYU, 7-0
Feb. 23, 2012
The Air Force men's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to 52nd-ranked BYU Thursday afternoon at the Academy. With the victory, BYU improved to 6-5, while the Falcons lost their fourth straight match and fell to 5-5.
The Cougars swept all three doubles matches, including a pair of tiebreak wins at Nos. 2 and 3. Francis Sargeant and Spencer Smith downed Falcon sophomores Andy Jackson and Alex Grubbs 9-8 at No.2 m while Keaton Cullimore and Michael Eraso won the No. 3 match over Ali Rizvi and Joey Brandt by the same score.
In singles play, BYU won five of the six contests in straight sets. The lone three-setter came at the No. 4 spot, where Cullimore defeated Grubbs, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3. Georgy Batrakov, ranked 50th in the country, won the No. 1 match, 7-6, 6-3 over AFA's Lance Wilhelm.
Air Force opens Mountain West play on Saturday, March 3 against UNLV at the Academy. The match is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m.
BYU 7, Air Force 0
Feb. 23, 2012
1. No. 50 Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Lance Wilhelm, 7-6, 6-3
2. Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Andy Jackson, 6-2, 6-2
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Landon Kinsey, 6-4, 6-4
4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Alex Grubbs, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
5. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Alex Lineberry, 6-1, 6-1
6. Michael Eraso (BYU) def. Steven Young, 6-2, 6-3