'Dogs Fall 4-3 in Marathon Match.
Feb. 24, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team fell 4-3 in a four and a half hour heartbreaker to Sacramento State Saturday afternoon at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
In doubles the 'Dogs were narrowly edged by the Hornets. Sacramento State took its first doubles match on court two with an 8-4 win. Nikolas Papic and Jeremy Quiroz evened the doubles taking No. 3 8-5. The Hornets roared back at the top spot 8-6 to clinch the doubles point.
Sacramento State extended its lead to 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-4 at No. 2.
Sam MacNeil recorded Fresno State's first point at the fifth spot winning 6-2, 6-4.
The Hornets then jumped ahead 3-1 with a three set victory on court six.
Drama then ensued with the last three matches all going to a three sets.
Freshman Felipe Fritz tightened the score for the 'Dogs, bouncing back dominantly in the final set to win 7-6(5), 5-7, 6-1.
Fritz' freshman counterpart Papic knotted the score at 3-3 with another dominant third set performance coming out victorious 6-4, 5-7, 6-2.
In the final match of the day, court one went to the brink with the Hornets picking up the final point with a 4-6, 7-6(4), 6-4 win.
The 'Dogs will be back in action next weekend as they travel to La Jolla, Calif. for the Pacific Coast Doubles.
Sacramento State 4, Fresno State 3
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
2. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 6-2, 6-4
3. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 6-4, 5-7, 5-2
4. Felipe Fritz (FS) def. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 7-6 (7-5), 5-7, 6-1
5. Sam MacNeil (FS) def. MILLER, Tom (SAC) 6-2, 6-4
6. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-2, 2-6, 6-0
1. MARKSOO, Marek/MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. Reid deLaubenfels/Sam MacNeil (FS) 8-6
2. KOLAR, Sean/MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. Felipe Fritz/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 8-4
3. Jeremy Quiroz/Nikolas Papic (FS) def. RAM, Niranjan/BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,5,6,4,3,1)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Check on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all of the Men's and Women's Bulldog home tennis matches.