Falcons Blank CSU-Pueblo, 7-0
Feb. 27, 2013
The Air Force men’s tennis team improved to 8-5 this season with a 7-0 victory over CSU-Pueblo Wednesday at the Academy. The Falcons, who won all nine matches, won their second straight match.
Air Force grabbed the doubles point by sweeping all three matches. Senior Lance Wilhelm and sophomore Grant Taylor improved to 9-4 at the No. 1 position with an 8-4 victory over Saul Schrom and Alex Lesiuk, while junior Steven Young and freshman Andrew Parks downed Anthony Breitenbach and Shane Nicholls, 8-3, at No. 2. Juniors Andy Jackson and Alex Lineberry completed the sweep with an 8-0 triumph over Alex Moncayo-Sampero and Tom Chavez at No. 3.
The Falcons kept the momentum going in singles, winning all six matches, five of them in straight sets. Young moved up the ladder to the No. 1 spot and defeated Schrom, 6-0, 6-4, for his sixth straight singles win while Taylor won the No. 2 match over Lesiuk, 6-2, 6-4. Freshman Landon Kinsey rallied to win the No. 3 match over Breitenbach, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 and Parks won his sixth consecutive match with a 6-1, 6-1 drubbing of Moncayo-Sampero at No. 4
The Falcons are idle until Friday, March 8 when they play UNLV in Las Vegas beginning at 2 p.m.
Air Force 7, CSU-Pueblo 0
Wednesday, Feb. 27
1. Lance Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Schrom / Lesiuk, 8-4
2. Young / Parks (AF) def. Breitenbach / Nicholls, 8-3
3. Andy Jackson / Alex Lineberry (AF) def. Moncayo-Sampero / Chavez, 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Steven Young (AF) def. Saul Schrom, 6-0, 6-4
2. Grant Taylor (AF) def. Alex Lesiuk, 6-2, 6-4
3. Landon Kinsey (AF) def. Anthony Breitenbach, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Andrew Parks (AF) def. Alex Moncayo-Sampero, 6-1, 6-1
5. Jack McCullers (AF) def. Tom Chavez, 6-3, 6-2
6. Ali Rizvi (AF) def. Shane Nicholls, 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6