Men's Tennis Drops 4-3 Decision to Fresno State
March 1, 2012
SAN DIEGO - The No. 42 San Diego State men's tennis team won the doubles point, but was unable to continue the momentum in singles play as they dropped a close 4-3 decision to No. 16 Fresno State on Thursday afternoon at the Aztec Tennis Center. With the loss, SDSU dropped to 5-3 on the year and the Bulldogs improved to 9-2 this season.
"It was nice to jump out early and win the doubles point vs. No. 16 Fresno State today," Aztec head coach Gene Carswell said. "We fell a little short in singles, but I am proud of the way the guys fought. We showed a lot of promise and are heading in the right direction."
SDSU got off to a fast start against Fresno State, as it earned the doubles point. The duo of Thorsten Bertsch and Derek Siddiqui easily handled Sai Kartik Nakireddi and Zachary Leslie by the score of 8-4. Then the freshmen duo of Rickey Baylon and Spencer Simon earned a hard-fought 9-8(3) victory against David Ayoun and Jean-Charles Diame.
In singles play, the Aztecs picked up two victories at the No. 1 and No. 6 positions. Javier Pulgar earned his second win against a ranked opponent this season, with a 7-5, 6-4 decision against No. 17 Remi Boutiller. Andranik Khachatryan, meanwhile, defeated Reid deLaubenfels, 6-4, 5-7, 10-6.
Up next for San Diego State is a 2 p.m. PT match against William & Mary on March 6 at the Aztec Tennis Center.
No. 16 Fresno State 4, No. 42 San Diego State 3
Thursday, March 1, 2012
Aztec Tennis Center | San Diego, Calif.
1. Remi Boutiller/Francis Alcantara (FS) def. Javier Pulgar / Hunter Nicholas (SDSU), 9-8(4)
2. Thorsten Bertsch / Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/Zachary Leslie (FS), 8-4
3. Rickey Baylon / Spencer Simon (SDSU) def. David Ayoun/Jean-Charles Diame (FS), 9-8(3)
1. Javier Pulgar (SDSU) def. No. 17 Remi Boutiller (FS), 7-5, 6-4
2. No. 52 Francis Alcantarra (FS) def. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Jean-Charles Diame (FS) def. Derek Siddiqui (SDSU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-0
4. David Ayoun (FS) def. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Zachary Leslie (FS) def. Rickey Baylon (SDSU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Andranik Khachatryan (SDSU) def. Reid deLaubenfels (FS), 6-4, 5-7, 10-6