'Dogs Victorious Over Hawai'i 4-3
March 9, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. ---In the fourth consecutive and sixth overall 4-3 match of the year, the Fresno State men's tennis team mounted a huge comeback and came out victorious over Hawai'i at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center Saturday afternoon.
The Bulldogs got off to a hot start in doubles as they swept all three courts. The No. 1 pair of Reid deLaubenfels and Sam MacNeil dominated from start to finish in an 8-1 win. On court two, Jeremy Quiroz and Nikolas Papic sealed the doubles point for the 'Dogs winning 8-3. Rounding out the sweep were Sai Kartik Nakireddi and Felipe Fritz at the three spot topping their opponents 8-7.
Hawai'i jumped ahead 2-1 with play in singles as Jared Spiker defeated Papic 6-2, 6-3 on court three and Nils Schuhmann picked up a 7-5, 6-1 win over Jeremy Quiroz at No. 6.
The Warriors added another point (3-1) at the four spot as Chas Okamoto topped Sam MacNeil 7-6(5), 6-2.
Nakireddi mounted the comeback as he brought the 'Dogs within one with a tough fought 6-4, 6-4 match on court two. DeLaubenfels then grinded out a 7-5, 6-4 win at the top spot to tie the team score at 3-3.
The remaining match was a battle on court five between Fritz and Danilo Casanova. Fritz cruised in the first set 6-1, while Casanova battled back in the second 7-6(). When the rest of the matches had completed, the third set score was tied at 5-5. Fritz fell behind 6-5, but was resilient and forced a tiebreaker during which he clinched the victory for the 'Dogs winning 7-4 in the breaker.
The 'Dogs will be back in action twice this upcoming week as they take on Washington at 10:30 a.m. Monday morning and Purdue on Wednesday at 1 p.m. both at the Wathen Tennis Center.
Fresno State 4, Hawai`i 3
1. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) def. Jonathan Brooklyn (UH) 7-5, 6-4
2. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Dmytro Kovalyov (UH) 6-4, 6-4
3. Jared Spiker (UH) def. Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-2, 6-3
4. Chas Okamoto (UH) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
5. Felipe Fritz (FS) def. Danilo Casanova (UH) 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Nils Schuhmann (UH) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 7-5, 6-1
1. Reid deLaubenfels/Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Jonathan Brooklyn/Chas Okamoto (UH) 8-1
2. Jeremy Quiroz/Nikolas Papic (FS) def. David Schuster/Jared Spiker (UH) 8-3
3. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/Felipe Fritz (FS) def. Nils Schuhmann/Carter Lam (UH) 8-7
Match Notes: Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,6,4,2,1,5) "Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Check on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all of the Men's and Women's Bulldog home tennis matches.