Falcons Drop MW Contest to No. 46 UNM, 7-0
March 9, 2012
The Air Force men's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to the 46th-ranked New Mexico Lobos Friday evening in Albuquerque, N.M. The Falcons, who won the No. 1 doubles match, fell to 6-7 and 0-2 in the Mountain West, while the Lobos improved to 12-4 and 1-0 in league play.
The Lobos raced out to a 1-0 lead with victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles spots. The Falcons' No. 1 team of junior Lance Wilhelm and freshman Grant Taylor downed the Mountain Region's No. 10 ranked team of Conor Berg and Ben Dunbar, 8-6.
Wilhelm almost pulled off a bigger upset at No. 1 singles against Jadon Phillips, the region's second-ranked player. Wilhelm, ranked 17th in the region, won the first set 7-5, then fell in a second set-tiebreaker and lost the third-set super-tiebreak 12-10 to Phillips.
That was the only three-setter in the singles matches as UNM did not lose more than four games in any set during the five other contests.
Air Force returns home for three matches next week, beginning against former Mountain West foe Utah on Monday, March 12 at 10 a.m.
#46 New Mexico 7, Air Force 0
March 9, 2012
1. Wilhelm / Grant Taylor (AF) def. Berg / Dunbar, 8-6
2. Phillips / Matthew Neeld (UNM) def. Grubbs / Jackson, 8-4
3. Ho / James Hignett (UNM) def. Kinsey / Joey Brandt, 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Jadon Phillips (UNM) def. Lance Wilhelm, 7-5, 6-7(4), 1-0(10)
2. Ben Dunbar (UNM) def. Landon Kinsey, 6-0, 4-1, ret.
3. Conor Berg (UNM) def. Andy Jackson, 6-1, 6-2
4.Samir Iftikhar (UNM) def. Alex Grubbs, 6-4, 6-3
5. Carl Ho (UNM) def. Alex Lineberry, 6-3, 6-0
6. Mads Hegelund (UNM) def. Steven Young, 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 2, 6, 5, 4, 1