Men's Tennis Gets Road Win At UA, 5-2
March 10, 2012
TUCSON, Ariz. - The San Diego State men's tennis team picked up a convincing road victory on Saturday, defeating Arizona, 5-2, at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. The Aztecs picked up their seventh victory of the season, improving to 7-3, to match their win total from the 2011 campaign. In addition, San Diego State remained a perfect 7-0 against teams ranked outside the top 16.
The Aztecs swept the three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. In number two doubles, Thorsten Bertsch and Derek Siddiqui disposed of Kieren Thompson and Sumeet Shinde, 8-4. The Aztecs clinched the doubles point when Spencer Simon and Ricky Baylon defeated Mario Urquidi and Carlos Bermudez at number three, 9-7. SDSU completed the sweep when Javier Pulgar and Hunter Nicholas outlasted Andre Vidaller and Sebastian Ionescu, 9-8.
San Diego State won four of six singles matches, including the first four matches to conclude. Freddy Gelbrich was first to finish at number four singles, following a 6-4, 6-4 victory. He was followed by Nicholas at number five and Pulgar at number one to clinch the match. The Aztecs also received a singles win from Bertsch at number three. All four SDSU victories on the singles ladder were straight-set wins.
San Diego State remains in Tucson on Sunday for a neutral site match against New Mexico State. Match time is scheduled for 11 a.m. PT.
San Diego State 5, Arizona 2
LaNelle Robson Tennis Center; Tucson, Ariz.
1. Pulgar/Nicholas (SDSU) def. Vidaller/Ionescu (UA), 9-8 (1)
2. Bertsch/Siddiqui (SDSU) def. Thompson/Shinde (UA), 8-4
3. Baylon/Simon (SDSU) def. Urquidi/Bermudez (UA), 9-7
Order of Finish: 2, 3*, 1
*Clinch doubles point
1. Javier Pulgar (SDSU) def. Andre Vidaller (UA), 6-4, 4-2 Ret. (Inj.)
2. Mario Urquidi (UA) def. Derek Siddiqui (SDSU), 4-6, 7-6 (5), 11-9
3. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) def. Sumeet Shinde (UA), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
4. Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) def. Carlos Bermudez (UA), 6-4, 6-4
5. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) def. Sebastian Ionescu (UA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Kieren Thompson (UA) def. Juan Florez (SDSU), 6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 1*, 3, 6, 2 *Clinch match