'Dogs Push No. 25 Washington to Limit
March 11, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. ---Despite the 4-1 final score, the Fresno State men's tennis team challenged No. 25 Washington and pushed the Huskies to the limit Monday afternoon at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
"I thought we played a pretty good match," said head coach Evan Austin. "We were right in there and they are a good, experienced team. We just have to keep learning what to do in situations when we are up and we have opportunities to close matches out."
Washington took the early 1-0 lead after securing wins on courts one and three in doubles.
Nicholas Kamisar put the Huskies ahead 2-0 after defeating Jeremy Quiroz 6-2, 6-1 at No. 6. Kyle McMorrow, who is ranked 19th in the country, topped Reid deLaubenfels at the top spot to extend the lead to 3-0.
The 'Dogs would not go away easily though.
Felipe Fritz hung tough at No. 4 and recorded his fourth straight singles victory defeating Emmett Egger 6-1, 7-6(6) to bring Fresno State within two points.
The remaining matches on court had two Fresno State first set wins and a battle in the first on court three.
Washington's Viktor Farkas battled back after dropping the first set 2-6 to Sam MacNeil to clinch the final point for the Huskies by winning the final two sets 6-4, 6-2.
Due to travel obligations, the match was called with two duels still in play. Sai Kartik Nakireddi and #116 Marton Bots were knotted at 5-5 in the third set on court two, while Nikolas Papic was vying for a third set at No. 3 against Max Manthou.
The Bulldogs will wrap up their three matches in five days on Wednesday, when they host No. 66 Purdue at the Wathen Tennis Center at 1 p.m.
"We are really looking forward to our match against Purdue," Austin said. "It's another ranked team and a great opportunity for us to play some great tennis."
#25 Washington 4, Fresno State 1
1. #19 Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) 6-3, 6-1
2. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) vs. #116 Marton Bots (UW) 6-3, 2-6, 5-5, unfinished
3. Nikolas Papic (FS) vs. Max Manthou (UW) 5-7, 4-5, unfinished
4. Felipe Fritz (FS) def. Emmett Egger (UW) 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
5. Viktor Farkas (UW) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Nicholas Kamisar (UW) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-2, 6-1
1. Marton Bots/Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. Reid deLaubenfels/Sam MacNeil (FS) 8-4
2. Emmett Egger/Jeff Hawke (UW) def. Nikolas Papic/Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 5-4
3. Hudson Barnhart/Max Manthou (UW) def. Felipe Fritz/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,1,4,5)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Check on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all of the Men's and Women's Bulldog home tennis matches.