Men's Tennis Cruises To 5-2 Win Against NMSU
March 12, 2012
TUCSON, Ariz. - The No. 47 San Diego State men's tennis team cruised to a 5-2 win against New Mexico State on Sunday afternoon at LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson, Ariz. With the win, SDSU improved to 7-3 on the year and NMSU dropped to 4-6 this season.
The Aztecs swept the three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. In number two doubles, Thorsten Bertsch and Derek Siddiqui defeated Marc Westgate and Felipe Frattini, 8-3. Rickey Baylon and Spencer Simon then clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 victory against Germain Degardin and Eduardo Cabrita at number three doubles. The Aztecs completed the sweep when Javier Pulgar and Hunter Nicholas earned the 8-7 (5) win against Matej Stakne / Luis Ramirez.
In singles play, San Diego State won four of six matches to wrap up their seventh win of the season. Derek Siddiqui was first to finish at number two singles, earning a 6-1, 6-1 win. Thorsten Bertsch followed at number three as he defeated Marc Westgate, 6-2, 6-3. Hunter Nicholas then clinched the match at number five singles with a 6-1, 7-6 (5) victory over Patrick Pfister. The Aztecs also received a singles win from Rickey Baylon at number six.
Up next for the Aztecs is the San Diego Collegiate Classic from March 15-17 at the Aztec Tennis Center.
No. 47 San Diego State 5, New Mexico State 2
Sunday, March 11, 2012
LaNelle Robson Tennis Center; Tucson, Ariz.
1. Javier Pulgar / Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) def. Matej Stakne / Luis Ramirez (NMSU), 8-7(5)
2. Thorsten Bertsch / Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) def. Marc Westgate / Felipe Frattini (NMSU), 8-3
3. Rickey Baylon / Spencer Simon (SDSU) def. Germain Degardin / Eduardo Cabrita (NMSU), 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Matej Stakne (NMSU) def. Javier Pulgar (SDSU), 3-6, 6-4, 11-9
2. Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) def. Luis Ramirez (NMSU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU), 3-6, 7-6 (4), 10-4
5. Hunter Nicholas def. Patrick Pfister (NMSU), 6-1, 7-6 (5)
6. Rickey Baylon (SDSU) def. Felipe Frattini (NMSU), 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 5, 6, 1, 4