Falcons Fall to Utah, 6-1
March 12, 2012
The Air Force men's tennis team dropped its second straight match Monday, falling to the University of Utah, 6-1 at the Academy. The Falcons, who won at No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles, fell to 6-8, while the Utes improved to 9-4.
The Utes took an early 1-0 lead with victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles spots. The Falcons' No. 1 team of junior Lance Wilhelm and freshman Grant Taylor defeated Dmytro Mamedov and Benito Suriano, 8-4.
Wilhelm also won at No. 1 singles with a dominating 6-2, 6-3 victory over Suriano. Utah won the other five singles matches in straight sets.
"Coming off a strong weekend in New Mexico, I believed we were going to have a better match today," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. "It was a disappointing effort but we have a very good opportunity to recover with two more home matches this week. We continue to get great performances out of our top player, Lance Wilhelm, who had two more impressive regional wins today."
Air Force hosts South Dakota State on Wednesday, March 14 and St. Louis on Thursday, March 15 at the Academy. Both matches begin at 4 p.m.
Utah 6, Air Force 1
March 12, 2012
1. Wilhelm / Grant Taylor (AF) def. Mamedov / Suriano, 8-4
2. Matias / Medinilla (UTAH) def. Jackson / Alex Grubbs, 8-3
3. Devin Lane / Hamza (UTAH) def. Young / Brandt, 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Benito Suriano, 6-2, 6-3
2. Dmytro Mamedov (UTAH) def. Landon Kinsey, 6-3, 6-1
3. Slim Hamza (UTAH) def. Andy Jackson, 6-3, 6-2
4. Rafael Davidian (UTAH) def. Alex Lineberry, 6-2, 7-6 (1)
5. Ace Matias (UTAH) def. Steven Young, 6-4, 6-4
6. Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH) def. Joey Brandt, 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5