Horned Frogs Can't Solve Columbia Tuesday
March 13, 2012
FORT WORTH, Texas -- The TCU men’s tennis team dropped a 6-1 score to Columbia Tuesday night at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
“This was a tough loss for us,” TCU head coach David Roditi said. “I’ve got to give Columbia a lot of credit. They have played all of their matches indoors this season and they came outside and competed really well. They are very similar to us. They have a bunch of really good, young American players and they played better than we did.”
TCU stumbled out of the gates to begin the day, dropping the first two doubles matches to fall into an early 1-0 deficit. Columbia claimed a 9-7 win against the Frogs’ team of senior Daniel Sanchez and sophomore Max Stevens at the No. 2 court, followed by another 9-7 decision at the No. 3 position against newcomers Nick Chappell and Blake Wiggins.
The Purple and White senior duo of Paul Chappell and JT Sundling ended the doubles portion with a 9-8 (8) victory at the top position.
The Lions kept the pressure up to begin singles play. Bert Vancura handed Columbia a 2-0 lead in the team score with a 6-4, 7-6 (3) win over Paul Chappell at the No. 5 position. TCU then fell at the No. 3 court as freshman Facundo Lugones couldn’t figure out CU’s Nathaniel Gery, dropping a 6-4, 7-5 decision. Columbia sealed the team victory with a 7-5, 6-2 win from Ashok Narayana against Sanchez from the No. 4 spot.
Nick Chappell collected the lone point for TCU with a win from the top position in singles. The Indianapolis, Ind., product defeated CU’s Haig Scheiderman in three sets, 6-4, 3-6, 3-1, ret. Chappell paces the TCU squad with a 9-3 singles record this spring.
TCU will continue the homestand with Tulsa Friday at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center. First serve is set for 5:30 p.m.
Columbia (9-2) def. No. 51 TCU (5-8), 6-1
Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center – Fort Worth, Texas
March 13, 2012
1. Nick Chappell (TCU) def. Haig Schneiderman (CU), 6-4, 3-6, 3-1, retirement
2. Winston Lin (CU) def. JT Sundling (TCU), 6-4, 3-6, 4-1, retirement
3. Nathaniel Gery (CU) def. Facundo Lugones (TCU), 6-4, 7-5
4. Ashok Narayana (CU) def. Daniel Sanchez (TCU), 7-5, 6-2
5. Bert Vancura (CU) def. Paul Chappell (TCU), 6-4, 7-6 (3)
6. John Yetimoglu (CU) def. Max Stevens (TCU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 4*, 1, 2, 6
1. P. Chappell/Sundling (TCU) def. Narayana/Schnur (CU), 9-8 (8)
2. Lin/Scheiderman (CU) def. Sanchez/.Stevens (TCU), 9-7
3. Gery/Yetimoglu (CU) def. N. Chappell/Wiggins (TCU), 9-7
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1*