Falcons Blank South Dakota State 7-0
March 14, 2012
The Air Force men's tennis team snapped its two-match losing streak with a dominating 7-0 victory over South Dakota State Wednesday at the Academy. The Falcons improved to 7-8, while the Jackrabbits fell to 4-7.
Air Force opened the match with wins at all three doubles spots. The Falcons' No. 3 team of junior Stephen Katrien and sophomore Alex Lineberry were off first after defeating Dom Rosetto and Morgan Solo, 8-4. The victory marked Lineberry's first collegiate doubles win and Katrein's first victory this season.
Sophomore Steven Young and freshman Joey Brandt won the No. 2 matc, 8-4, over Justin Pyle and Alejandro March, then junior Lance Wilhelm and freshman Grant Taylor downed Parker Lowley and James Thorp 8-6 at the top spot.
The Falcons continued their domination through singles play, not losing more than three games in any set. Wilhelm defeated Pyle, 6-0, 6-2 at the No. 1 spot, while Taylor picked up his first dual match singles win of his career with a 6-0, 6-0 triumph over March at No. 5. Katrein notched his first singles win of the season by defeating Solo, 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 6 position.
"We made a lot of improvements today on and off the court," said Air Force coach Dan Oosterhous. "Everyone did their job and did it well. I expect our guys to bring the same focus and energy to the match tomorrow against St Louis."
The Falcons host St. Louis University on Thursday afternoon at 4 p.m.
Air Force 7, South Dakota State 0
March 14, 2012
1. Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Lowley / Thorp, 8-6
2. Young / Joey Brandt (AF) def. Pyle / March, 8-4
3. Katrein / Lineberry (AF) def. Rossetto / Solo, 8-4
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Justin Pyle, 6-0, 6-2
2. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Dom Rossetto, 6-0, 6-2
3. Alex Lineberry (AF) def. Parker Lowley, 6-2, 6-2
4. Steven Young (AF) def. James Thorp, 6-1, 6-3
5. Grant Taylor (AF) def. Alejandro March, 6-0, 6-0
6. Stephen Katrein (AF) def. Morgan Solo, 6-2, 6-2