Falcons Shut Out St. Louis, 7-0
March 15, 2012
The Air Force men's tennis team evened its record at 8-8 this season with a 7-0 victory over St. Louis University Thursday at the Academy. The Falcons, who won their second straight 7-0 match, swept all nine matches in dropping the Billikens to 5-7.
Air Force opened the match with wins at all three doubles spots. The Falcons' No. 1 team of junior Lance Wilhelm and freshman Grant Taylor downed Vuk Poledica and Drew Feder, 8-1, followed by freshmen Landon Kinsey and Joey Brandt winning the No. 3 match, 8-2, over Dave Welkener and Pat Kella. Sophomores Andy Jackson and Alex Grubbs won the No. 2 match, 8-6, over Joe Flanagan and Bobby Kidera.
The Falcons continued their domination through singles play, winning five of the six contests in straight sets. Wilhelm improved to 11-4 at the top spot with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Flanagan, while Kinsey won the No. 3 match, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 over Yehis El Sullaly.
"Our team looked sharp and focused today," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. "We had a rough start to the week but I'm pleased with how our team responded. We have seven matches left in the regular season and in every one we'll get a chance to prove what type of team we are. I'm excited for what's ahead."
The Falcons host San Diego State on Sunday, March 25 at Lifetime Fitness Center in Colorado Springs. The match is scheduled to start at 12 p.m.
Air Force 7, St. Louis University 0
March 15, 2012
1. Wilhelm / Taylor (AF) def. Poledica / Feder, 8-1
2. Grubbs / Andy Jackson (AF) def. Flanagan / Kidera, 8-6
3. Kinsey / Joey Brandt (AF) def. Kella / Dave Welkener, 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Joe Flanagan, 6-4, 6-1
2. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Bobby Kidera, 6-2, 6-1
3. Landon Kinsey (AF) def. Yehis El Sullaly, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
4. Alex Lineberry (AF) def. Vuk Poledica, 6-1, 6-3
5. Steven Young (AF) def. Drew Feder, 6-2, 6-0
6. Grant Taylor (AF) def. Pat Kella, 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6